Is it okay for my baby to sleep on my chest?

Being that my left arm is fractured I am loosing some time with my daughter so I try to cuddle with her as much as possible. I know it's not good for her to be sleeping anywhere else besides her crib but I feel secure with letting her sleep on my chest. I'm a very light sleeper and I make sure the area around us is safe wrapped with pillows. I hold her in my right arm and we will sleep about 4 hours. My mother recently told me that her nurse said the chest was the worst spot for a baby due to SIDS. That from her hearing my heart beat she will forget to breath on her own. I have been sleeping with her life this since she was born but now being told this it has made me nervous.

Afathi1119

Asked by Afathi1119 at 4:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Actually co-sleeping must NOT be done with pillows. Pillows are an element of unsafe co-sleeping, and babies have been smothered by them. Sorry!

Otherwise, sleeping on your chest is OK.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:50 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• So...youre a first time young mom?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 4:50 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Feralxat-- Yes I am 21 and my husband is 29 this is our first child.
    Afathi1119

Comment by Afathi1119 (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Ditch the pillows. As long as there's no danger of her falling, it's fine.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• For a while there is nothing wrong with it at all You won't want to get her trained into sleeping no other way and since this is simply until your arm is more functional, I think it is a very good way to be close to each other.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:55 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I use the pillows as a barrier.. Under my arms just in the case that she may roll. But I will ditch the pillows now.
    Afathi1119

Comment by Afathi1119 (original poster) at 4:56 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Pillows and "re-breathing air" are danger zones, so (I know this sounds nuts) try not to breathe directly in her face (serious) while sleeping.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 5:00 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Please refer to this site for up to date information on co-sleeping. (or bed sharing, whatever you choose to call it or do)

Also, please look up fracture and broken

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 5:03 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I have 5 children. They have all slept on my chest. They are 12 1/2, almost 10, 8, 6, and 8 1/2 months old.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I don't see any problems with it. The studies are all over the board. I would say it's fine on occasion, but don't make it a habit.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:09 PM on Aug. 21, 2013