How can I finally get to the bottom of my sons constipation?

My 18 mo old son is taking 17 grams or miralax and 1/2 tsp of lactulose daily. I thought he had made some progress he is a mess with lose stools. The dr. had me bring him back for another xray since he has been going for a week and he called with the results saying it looks like he hasn't gone at all. He said there is still a large amount there. How could this be? Is there something causing this? I am so tired of not getting any answers after 7 months of this I just want him to feel better. Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone elses children? And how did you finally get an answer?

luvmyboys31

Asked by luvmyboys31 at 9:45 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My friend's daughter was like that too (still has issues actually at 6 yrs old. It was discovered that she had a "shelf" within her colon if that makes sense. There is an actual name for this but I am not sure exactly what it is called. The feces can't move past this shelf and she gets backed up. I know that the poor little thing had to have all kinds of tests before they discovered it. I think that you might want to take your son to a specialist for this as you might get more answers. If you aren't happy with the dr your son has been seeing for this please don't feel bad about going to someone who might have more experience with this problem. Good luck!
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 10:11 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• maybe he need more fiber, talk to the doc, and maybe you can give him activia yogurt, or some benefiber in his juice or something. their supposed to make you regular. (at least thats what the commercials claim) sorry your poor baby has to go thru this is suxx to be all blocked up.
    STRAWBERRYRAIN

Answer by STRAWBERRYRAIN at 10:39 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Have you tried a chiropractor, a massage therapist, acupressure, acupuncture, an herbalist, an allergist? Please do not just keep trying laxatives as they can dehydrate your child, yes, it can produce loose stools but not get to the BULK of the stool trapped inside. You will have to keep looking until you find the answer. I agree with the first poster that you may need to see a specialist, maybe even more than one! Oh and try to not feel guilty -- hugs --I'm sorry you are going thru this. I have posted journals on this subject, it's really very hard to go through.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:43 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• I would also suggest food allergy testing.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:38 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• LOL! thought it was a joke before I opened! "Get to the bottom"

Seriously...some medications can cause this. The doc would know that though. Oatmeal works wonders for constipation and diarrhea. Activa is a good suggestion too. I'm guessing though, at this point you've tried these things. Many web sites suggest that a common cause of constipation in children is caused by withholding. I don't know how to stop this, but if you notice he is doing this it may be a start at least to correcting it.

FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 2:02 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My son had constipation problems, abd the dr.s suggested mineral oil. It wasn'r fun to make him dringk it, but made a HUGE difference. Before it was resolved, the poor baby even had hemmoriods at 14 months! Been better since we got things moving though.
    fivefikes

Answer by fivefikes at 2:34 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My son has the opposite problem..he's had diarrhea since July. I can say this don't waste your money on Activia, any "good" yogurt will have the extra probiotics in them. Activia is full of High fructose corn syrup "yucky." and your paying for the name.
    Also my oldest was constipated a lot as an infant. I took him to a chiropractor and did small amount of liquid glycerin suppositories. Cleared him right up. I hope this helps a little.
    doulamommy

Answer by doulamommy at 9:43 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• pears, water, oranges, juice, prunes, apricots, lots more water. my daughter has issues with constipation. And these are all things that I researched. Cut out bananas for a bit and apple sauce. You can give him apple juice because it doesn't have pectin in it which is what apples have that constipate people. Also, milk and cheese will constipate him.
    tammygabeizzy

Answer by tammygabeizzy at 10:09 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• i would definitely try a chiropractor to get that one mass moving. the prevent future constipation with pears, prunes, prune or pear juice, oatmeal with ground flax meal (this is a miracle worker and SO healthy), and water. yogurt or kefir and a probiotic supplement (they make them for babie/kids and nursing moms at your health food store- it's just a powder you can stir into food or liquid). these are all natural, effective ways to prevent consitpation.
    minneapolismama

Answer by minneapolismama at 10:28 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Thanks for all of your help. I think I am going to try a chiropractor and see if it helps him.
    luvmyboys31

Answer by luvmyboys31 at 9:41 AM on Feb. 20, 2009