Help me decide what to go back to school for?!

I just graduated with an Associates in Liberal Arts and I plan to return to school full time after the birth of daughter...I'll be starting back next fall.

I just don't know what to study!

So here's some information about me:

I'd love to work in the medical field but I'm a complete idiot when it comes to math and science so that's kind of out of range for me.

I like the idea of teaching but not enough to go through the schooling for the minimal pay out.

I am a people person and love talking...I talk too much actually.

I have changed my major so many times since I started college in 2010 that it prevented me from obtaining a BA in time for graduation...I was less than two semesters behind credit-wise.

collegexmamix28

Asked by collegexmamix28 at 6:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2013 in Money & Work

• Journalism. I'm actually quite serious; I'm a TV news producer. Liking to talk to people is a big requirement. A bigger one: Being able to write. And it seems you are.

Fair warning, though: The payout isn't huge there either.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Journalism! I don't know why that's never crossed my mind. I definitely have the personality for it...lol Thank you!
    collegexmamix28

Comment by collegexmamix28 (original poster) at 6:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Why not first finish up what you need to get your BA. What was your major?
    What other majors have you already explored and discarded?
    Have you talk to anyone in the medical firld to see if there is something you can do that is not math oriented?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:03 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• What would it take to be a publicity person or an ombudsman for a hospital or a nusing home? Something where dealing with the public is a big requirement? You might also consider going into the nonprofit sector, since a lot of that is fundraising and working with donors and foundations.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:32 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Psychology, marketing, nursing or business administration. Business administration is always a safe choice, and it's expected to be in demand for the next 15 or so years according to some websites I've read. You could go into medical sales, become a certified nursing assistant (CNA) to test if you want to continue as a registered nurse, become a dental hygienist, use psychology to work in social services and healthcare-related social work, work as a psychiatric aide, work in public health education, community counseling...endless possibilities! Think about how much time you're willing to invest in education (master's?) and what each job's minimum education requirement is. A good website is http://www.onetonline.org/find/ and http://www.onetonline.org/skills/

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:02 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Take a look at some job descriptions from real job sites for anything you're curious about and really think about whether or not you can do that job on a daily basis and not get bored or frustrated. Do what you love and don't just weigh it on the salary. Also, check out how many job openings for that type of job seem to be available in your area. Are you wiling to relocate if you can't find the job you want? What are some related back-up careers? How physically demanding is the job and do you expect to be able to still do that job many years from now considering your health? How much time are you wiling to spend away from your family? Medical jobs usually require 12-hour alternating shifts and odd split week/weekend schedules (for hospitals). Go to the library and check out some books on careers in each field. As you narrow it down, get on career discussion boards to get a real idea from real people in the field.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:18 AM on Aug. 22, 2013