Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Could I get in trouble for this?

My son is 6 mos. behind on his rent to us. Yet he has money for $120/mth in supplements & protein shakes. We just sat him down this past weekend & told him how things need to change or else. Well, guess what came today. More stuff from the Vitamin Shoppe. Can I hold it ransom until he pays up?! It came UPS so it's technically not mail. :p


Asked by mrsmom110 at 8:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 48 (284,595 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (15)

    UPS, (the United Parcel Service) is not a federal agency and therefore the federal laws against opening mail addressed to someone else do not apply. That being said, intercepting or opening a UPS package addressed to someone else and keeping its contents is theft punishable by civil penalties and jail time.

    Read more:


    Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

  • ^^^ i was thinking that. its not a federal offense but if he paid for them, technically it's theft if you withhold them from him. but do you really think he'd press charges? lol

    Answer by tnm786 at 9:05 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

  • He's in your house, it came to your address. What's he going to do call the police? Postmaster general? I'd hold it hostage, too bad you can't return it!

    Answer by tessiedawg at 8:32 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

  • When was it ordered? If it was ordered before the talk then I wouldn't hold it for ransom but if it was ordered after the talk then I would hold it for ransom. Not sure if it would be legal to or not though.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 8:33 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

  • No!! it was left at your think he is going to call the police to tell them you opened his't think so....maybe he ordered this before you had the talk..sit him down and have another talk...

    Answer by older at 9:07 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

  • Let him open it THEN confiscate it.


    Write him a notice of intent to evict. Give him 30 days to start making payments. Don't do it if you won't or for some reason can't follow through.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

  • Yes I think you can get in trouble for this. You can have him open it and hold out your hand for the payment that is due. Have him sign the pills over to you. That way it is legal as partial payment for rent and then give him notice to move.

    Answer by Dardenella at 8:52 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

  • Hopefully something gets worked out.

    Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:57 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

  • I would tell him, Pay up or move out.

    Answer by louise2 at 10:09 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

  • Maybe technically you could get in trouble, but you probably won't. Still, I doubt if withholding the silly vitamins will get you anywhere closer to collecting your rent. I'm sorry your son is giving you fits.

    Answer by Ballad at 11:12 PM on Aug. 21, 2013