What is your child's school policy on lice?

Im really wondering if I should somehow say something about my neighbors. They've had lice for months and its only 2 days into school but they still have it. Tonight one of the 7 year olds came up to me to say hi, telling me she didn't have lice anymore (last week i forbade them from playing with my kids because my kids got it from playing with them for THIRTY minutes) and plain as day i saw about 7 nits right there on the top of her head. how her teacher doesn't see it is beyond me. but these kids go to the same school as my kid, and granted they are in different grades but i'd hate to think the school is lax on this. i know it's hard to get rid of and i know it's unfair that their education should be compromised but they need to do something! my daughter got it 2 weeks before the end of the school year in May and their policy is as long as they've been treated they can go back, even if there are still nits, but as long as there "aren't too many". if the child is itching the teacher is suppose to send them to the nurse's office, the nurse will pick out what she sees and if it's not "a lot" she'll send them back to class.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:20 PM on Aug. 21, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• btw, please don't think im a bitchy control freak, i didn't inspect the girl's hair or anything. i didn't touch her at all, i just could see the nits because it was overcast and her hair is dark.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• I know how hard it was the last time for you UGH! If it was me I would call the school nurse.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 9:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• i was PISSED when we were treating lice last week, a week before school. i should have known not to let my kids play with them ugh!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:33 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Oh I understand you. My little sister was out of school a lot in elementary school because every time we would get her head clear she would go to school and get it again (yes, she would get it again, haha, it wasn't that we weren't getting rid of it all because we shared a room even and I *never* got it. My mom IS a control freak, lol). So I know what a pain it can be. But with ds just starting school I'm not sure what their policy is. I just know that I sympathize. <3
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:33 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• exactly! im just going to be really mad if all my hard work finally getting rid of them is all for nothing if she's going to keep getting it at school because the school doesn't really do much about it.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• it is amazing that ive managed not to get it as often as they keep getting it. at one point all 3 of them had it and sometimes they sleep in my bed. i guess it's all the hair dye and the fact i use hot hair supplies haha
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• The schools we have been at all require the kids to be nit free before returning to school, and the nurse will check and send kids home who are not. And if you could see the nits on her, she still has it pretty bad.

I'd call the nurse and let her know. I/m sure other parents will appreciate not having lice around their kids.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:39 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• see! that's what i think they should do. if the school is aware of the lice, they should check them as soon as they are sent back to school, before allowing them to class. and if they find anything they should be sent home.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• Oh, and they send home letters to parents so that they are aware that lice is going around.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:43 PM on Aug. 21, 2013

• i think im going to get some of that tea tree or lavender oil ill have to google... but supposedly if you apply a few drops at the hairline by the neck then the lice won't be as apt to go to their hair.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Aug. 21, 2013