Back to school wardrobe, How much?

I am a single mom working part-time so don't have a lot to go around. My DD has just about grown out of everything she owns and I need to get her some back to school clothes (she can't go naked plus she is entering 3rd grade). How much can I get away with buying and still be ok? How much should I expect to spend? School clothes + school supplies=penniless

MChildressDem

Asked by MChildressDem at 3:49 AM on Aug. 22, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• try thrift stores/ Ross/ Walmart...
    get stuff she needs badly now, and gat a piece here and there otherwise
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:44 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Look online old navy has tons of stuff on sale school supplies will run about $80 bucks, if you have to bring Kleenex, hand sanitizes etc
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 7:47 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• When I was single and on a very tight budget I would do this:

4 pair of bottoms - 2 shorts/2 jeans
    A pair of multi color shorts or a skirt
    5-7 tops
    a bag of socks
    a bag of undies

See if school does the supplies in a bag there, its much cheaper.

Clothes depending on where you shop could probably be done for 200 or less ( mind you I bought half one pay check and the other half the next and I bought at yardsales as well as stores)

Supplies is hard to guess because I don't know what she needs but we spent a little over 50 for our kindergartner.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 7:51 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Find a good kids clothes consignment store. Get in the habit of consigning her old stuff and then whatever you find that works for you in the store is free! You won't find everything, but the couple of things you do really helps. I've found brand new stride rite shoes at mine!!

Don't forget the dollar store for school supplies. Mine has a great selection of basics and I can grab specific items at the walmart or Staples. A lot of stores give out their loyalty perks now, I have 8 bucks from Staples and 10 from Dick's Sporting goods to spend. GL
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 8:36 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Back to school supplies at the dollar tree or check with your local dept of social services to see if they havea program to help with the supplies. Also some schools help.

Clothes try resell shops or your local Freecycle.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:41 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Do you have a school supply list to go by? Start there and keep an eye out for deals. This time of year, they're everywhere.

What's the climate where you are? Is it still too hot for jeans, or can you start dressing her in those now? Depending on weather, I would get either 3 pairs of jeans, or 4 pairs of shorts, 5 shirts, a bag of undies, bag of socks, and new shoes from Payless if she's outgrown her current shoes. Coat/jacket/hoodies can wait til the weather is cool enough to require them.

It will most likely require some driving around, but hopefully you live in an area that isn't an issue. There are still tons of deals available for school clothes and supplies.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:21 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• My kids wear mostly what they've been wearing all summer, although I do buy 2-3 outfits after July 4th when they are on sale. I wait and buy jeans when they go on sale in October.
    You can get away with very little shopping at Goodwill or other thrift shops.

Answer by missanc at 9:31 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• old navy is pretty good. pretty cheap. cheaper if you buy clearance or sale items. very good quality clothes (i bought DS's shirts from children's place once. with them on sale and then coupon they were a steal! i was ecstatic. Until their color started running when i washed them!! it was a waste of money )
    try TJ maxx and marshalls as well.
    cookie269

Answer by cookie269 at 10:49 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• go slow. whatever summery stuff you current have should work for the first few weeks, buying you time to save more, work OT or odd jobs, sell blood, whatever the plan is.

school supplies you cannot get away from. usually a new 1st day outfit of their choosing and a haircut cements the back to school process. good luck
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:28 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Don't overlook the thrift stores. You can often get brand-new or nearly new nice clothes there for almost nothing.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:29 AM on Aug. 22, 2013