Are there really that many parents of fat kids who don't realize their kids are fat?

New school year, new arguing about schools doing mandatory BMI screenings and mailing the results to parents with kids over the normal range.  (interesting that in a country where eating disorders are still an issue, there's no mention of pointing out the underweight kids)

The two big problems I see are 1) BMI is actually a horrible method for determining who is overweight, it's simply the insurance industry standard.  It's completely meaningless when dealing with athletes.  2) you don't need to be overweight to have bad cholesterol, one of the reasons use to justify the letters.  Feed a skinny kid chicken nuggets and hot dogs all week, they're still going to have high cholesterol.

Are "fat letters" going to fix anything, or will it just make parents defensive?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:31 AM on Aug. 22, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• I would hope the parents that get letters would already have heard it from their drs. But I do think a lot of parents justify their kids weight by saying they are "big boned" or "solid". They might call someone else's kid at the same size overweight, but not theirs. And yes, a skinny kid can have high cholesterol but it's much less likely.

Answer by missanc at 9:36 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Well I know my kids a chunker, always has been since birth. The school here argues with me because his pediatrician sent them a letter telling them he's perfectly fine. He's active in sports & isn't a couch potatoe.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:37 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Not to mention the fact that most school lunches could cause a whole host of health problems all by themselves. Isn't that kind of hypocritical on their part?
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:37 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Would love if school did this
    I would be on their ass fast
    Mine In autism spectrum and with that she has hypotonia
    I fought to get the school to do a P.T. Eval, and when it came back showing she had some very low scores the PT had all sorts of excuses...was she could not catch the ball but it was a small ball etcetc. Do not try to sell me that you do not give all kids the exact same test, as then you are claiming you are incompetent .

With a Big PITA mother, they would not dare
    I would just find services that they needed to provide to my child, ...like adaptive PE
    And since this school is only one I know of that does not provide lunches...maybe I would go after that...and the public school can start to provide some public lunches, throw in some breakfasts and snacks too
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:42 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I would hope the parents that get letters would already have heard it from their drs.

DD is heavier. My (old) doc didn't say anything other than make sure you're exercising and eating healthy.
    But he said that to me about all the kids.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:50 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I see more too skinny kids than over weight kids at my daughters school
    I think at least at this school , parent very ware of diet, some too aware...or a child that just does not eat enough
    But
    Again we have have school lunch, all lunches ans snacks are provided by home and brought in in brown bag

Ped. Has not mentioned mine being over weight, but we did talk about her hypotonia and her lack of balance and below average on physical things...skipping. Standing on one foot, riding bike, catching ball etc etc

Would love some PT for her at school...some core strength building would be prefect exercise to do during her sensory breaks, but then have to have a PT do this, did ask her OT to just bring out the ball and do some core stuff during one of her sensory breaks, no can do....a BMI result, just might getme that PT I need.

Looking forward to seeing if my school does this
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:53 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I think in a way it would make the parents defensive, but hopefully they will take the letter and their child to the pediatrician have a check up and get their medical professional's opinion and advice.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:00 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• The BMI should just go away, period. It's about as accurate as the method the military uses to determine body fat composition.

By the BMI chart my daughter is teetering in obesity because she is dense like me and weighs more than she looks.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:02 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Quinn
    I would take that school letter in to ped
    He would supply her medical issue of hypotonia and write a script up for PT
    And I would request anothe PT eval be done and this time with a adaptive PE eval also

Hello, school supplied PT
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:03 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I never heard of this yet!!??
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:24 AM on Aug. 22, 2013