3 year old wont potty train

My son is 3 years old and suppose to start preschool in a few weeks. But if he isn't potty trained he can't go. Before he turned 3 he would go all the time on the potty and now nothing. He screams and cries for a diaper. I have even tried a pull up and he hates that too. I have tried explaining to him that if he doesn't go on the potty he can't go to school and he really wants to go to school. I have tried the potty chart, rewards and nothing is working. I put him in underwear this morning and have set a timer to put him the on potty. I even have the fun Elmo potty nothing helps. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

MommytoBe987

Asked by MommytoBe987 at 9:45 AM on Aug. 22, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Recent changes (stress)?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:52 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• My daughter just started kindergarten this week and I know he misses her but this has been going on longer then that.
    MommytoBe987

Comment by MommytoBe987 (original poster) at 9:53 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I wish I had some answers. Mine will be three next month and he has never peed on the potty for me. He says he tries but nothing comes out. Not even for brownies.
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 9:59 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• what was going on when the regression began

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 10:25 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• You might consider backing off for a few days. Give him the diapers he wants, but every time you change him, just make an offhand comment about how it's too bad he won't get to go to school like his big sister because he doesn't want to use the potty. Don't engage him, just sort of talk to yourself. He may change his mind and ask for pull-ups or underwear, and once they're his idea, it will work a whole lot better. That helped my daughter along when she was three and eager to go to preschool. Also, some kids don't like those potty chairs. My daughter hated hers, but when I got one of those padded ring seats that go on the regular toilet, it worked like a charm. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:59 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• When I potty trained I used a method I found on the internet. They said to let them run around with nothing on their bottoms at all. They have to go somewhere. It worked on the potty part but my little girl is still scared of pooping in the toilet.
    KS_Mom42082

Answer by KS_Mom42082 at 11:23 AM on Aug. 23, 2013