Recycling bins

What are the bins like in your area? Are they small or are they huge like a trash can?

Ours went from these:

To THESE:

Not only are they huge, but they gave us new trash cans that are even bigger. But now we're not separating glass from plastic/cardboard anymore. We're suppose to throw it all in the behemoth and I guess the recycling collectors have to sort through it now. Sigh... what are yours like?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 11:56 AM on Aug. 22, 2013 in Home & Garden

• oops. don't know where my other image went. anyway our previous ones were just the standard small bins that you can carry with two hands.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Ours are like the 2nd pic
    Our garbage bins are slightly smaller than the recycling one
    We too throw all our recycling into the bin. I like that much better than having all the paper in the house (no garage)

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• We live in an apartment complex, so we have 2 huge dumpsters. One for recycling where everything goes, to be sorted later, and one for garbage. I'm just glad the eyesores are kept behind huge doors.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Here they do not give you the bins you have to buy them or rent them and you pay extra to have them pick it up.
    It discourages a lot of people from recycling
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:03 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Our recycling bin is the same size as the dumpster next to it. I guess someone else sorts all the recycling later after the bins are taken away. I'm just glad we finally have the option, which we only got a matter of months ago.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I wish we had the big trash can like bins for ours! It would make life so much easier for us. We usually have almost as much recycling as we do trash! We just have the smaller bin.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Mine is like the one you posted. I like it because it holds a lot. I have a seperate little trash can in the house to collect papers and non-smelly recyclables. If it's something that is sticky or smelly (even after being rinsed out), we just take it directly to the bin.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• i must just not be as big of a recycler as the bin can hold. i used to have 2 of the small handheld bins and would only fill up one per week when it was time for pick up. i recycle all of my milk jugs, cereal boxes, empty laundry detergent containers, and i can't think of much else. wine glasses on the rare occasion i buy wine. kmath- you're in florida like me, maybe the big recycling bin movement will make it's way to your county soon.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I recycle cans from vegetables and tomatoes, glass from wine or condiments (pickles, olives and stuff like that), all of my junk mail that doesn't have personal info on it, newspapers that I don't read or subscribe to that get thrown in my yard, phone books that I don't use and stuff like that. It adds up quickly, but I don't put the bin out every week if I don' thave enough stuff to make it worth it. If I have something that stinks in there or if it's pretty full I put it out, but otherwise I figure the driver can get through more homes and be done faster if I don't put it out with just a few things in it.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:23 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• We have to request the large bins. I have a small one we keep inside. We don't have to sort and it saves a lot of money on trash bags.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2013