Decorators...I need you!

Simple question, is it against interior design rules to have a TV console table that is shorter than the length of the TV? Our tv is hanging and is 60" and the table I'm looking to buy is only 48". A-ok or no go?

CJM_SHM

Asked by CJM_SHM at 12:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I have a 46" and the length is 42"
    Our stand is 40"
    You're going to need something around 58" or so
    How about 2 tables sitting next to each other? Finding 2, 30" would be easier

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:31 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• It depends,is the table AS wide or wider than the TV? Smaller,and it's going to look very strange

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I do not know about decorator rules but I would say safety wise it is not a great idea. It would also not look very nice. IMO
    But it is your home and you get to furnish it the wa YOU like it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Is the screen a 60" screen, or does it measure 60" along the bottom edge of the TV? I think tv screens are measured diagonally, so a 60" screen wouldn't necessarily measure 60" along the bottom edge. IF the screen is hanging on a bracket on the wall and not depending on the console to support it, then going a little shorter on the console wouldn't be a big deal and if it's not in a niche, then you could balance it by putting two taller elements beside the console on each side, like a tall plant or other decorative detail, coming from the floor to make it look wider than it is.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:14 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Do you have anything else against that wall? Bookshelves or anything? I am trying to picture it. If it is just the table, I am afraid it would look really weird. If you had bookshelves framing the tv it might look ok. Not sure though. I don't know the rules, I just know what I like when I see it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 12:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• The TV is hanging, not sitting on the table. The TV is a flat screen that is already anchored to the wall.
    CJM_SHM

Comment by CJM_SHM (original poster) at 12:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I wouldn't do it unless you had a very sure way to keep the TV from falling.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I see, thank you :) yes, it's hanging on the wall and the screen is 60 inches, so the TV is a little wider itself. Probably more like 64" The table is 48", but its not supporting the TV in any way at all. I can't really put something on the floor beside it to balance it though cause I have a 16 month old :/ she'll be all over that!
    CJM_SHM

Comment by CJM_SHM (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• No, nothing beside it. There really isn't space to have anything around the TV. But we just bought a shabby chic cream and blue kitchen table and the living room is right off the kitchen. I was trying to bring the two together and found a really cute hutch that would work great as a TV console......just the bottom of it. But it's kinda short length wise and I don't want to buy it if its going to look weird
    CJM_SHM

Comment by CJM_SHM (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Aug. 22, 2013