Weird health stuff...

When my cancer was found I was in stage 3 and had over 100 abdominal tumors (non hodgkins lymphoma-follicular).

For five years I complained of feeling bad so blood test were done over and over, they were never off. I finally demanded that something be done, my back had begun to hurt so much I could barely function. Had an MRI and that is how they found it.

I go to the doctor tomorrow for labs (I am feeling a bit off) , feel like its a waste of money though because they never show anything.

Have you ever been diagnosed with something when there were no symptoms to point the doctors in the right direction or do you know someone who was?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Aug. 22, 2013 in Health

• Definitely not to the extent that you have OP but, when I was pregnant with my oldest DD, I had swelling and protein in my urine for weeks (like 6 wks) but, they wouldn't diagnose me with pre-eclampsia b/c my BP was normal (not high). However, I've had low BP the majority of my life. I can be completely stressed & end up with 120/80. When my BP finally went over, they immediately took me out of work & put me on bed rest. My DD was born 10 days later. I keep thinking that I would've had less complications with her birth & afterwards (she had jaundice) if they had just diagnosed me earlier.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:36 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I hope everything comes out okay for you.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:38 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• 3Libras, I agree you may have had a better experience if they would have realized that not everyone has the exact same symptoms. Hopefully the medical field is learning this is possible.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Have you started treatment yet? They may be doing bloodwork to establish your overall health and further plan your treatments plan.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:41 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• My grandmother had an arterial blockage that nearly killed her. Back and forth to the doctor, to the ER, always they dismissed her as "complaining old woman". She mentioned to her chiro all the running around she'd been doing back and forth and how they kept sending her home. 5 minutes examining her, and HE found the problem immediately, send her back to the ER with a note telling them exactly what to look at, and she was in emergency surgery that day.

I think a lot of it is that medical professionals are just as prone to stereotyping as anyone else, and sadly, women are in the group most likely to be dismissed.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:44 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• ty ballad
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Thanks OP. I hope everything goes well for you.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:45 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• mommy jules, I did all my treatments and have been in remission for almost 3 years.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• NP I am so glad that her chiro knew and that she was treated.
    I agree with the stereo typing and it mainly being women who are dismissed.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• NP... that is awesome, people are so dismissive with chiropractors too and they often find the problem/fix the problem.

My mom had been feeling "bad" and "off" for a couple of years and the doctors thought he was a whiny mom of 4 kids.... well, one weekend she lost her vision in one eye... I drove her to the doctor (Was a teen) and they sent us to an ophthalmologist. There we were told "Worst case scenario" was multiple sclerosis, but highly unlikely. Fast forward a few weeks... she was diagnosed with MS... so her years of feeling like crap had a cause. A serious cause that is now medicated daily and monitored constantly.

Very sad and scary diagnosis for her and our family but so grateful because we have had the chance to at least slow the progression down.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2013