My baby is 3 months old and crys with anger or fear when certain people hold her, can this be stranger anxiety?

DBETTY

Asked by DBETTY at 2:43 PM on Aug. 22, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would think that 3 months is too young for that... around 6 months, yeah, but not 3 months.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 2:44 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• 3 months is too young for a child to develop those kinds of anxieties.
    She just knows mom's scent, mom's touch, and mom's voice.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:50 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• She can feel their anxiety
    Some babies just don't like to be away from their parents

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:50 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• It is normal & common. My Daughter started stranger anxiety at around 2 to 3 months. You have a very smart baby. My Pediatrician noticed it immediately & made sure not to make eye contact with her when examining her. He said it usually starts at 9 months but some babies it's just earlier. He said tell people when they see her not to make eye contact with her, touch her, reach to hold her for at least 1/2 an hour until she sizes the person up & becomes comfortable with them. My Daughter just turned 2 & she is still VERY leery of people & will cover her face if someone stares at her or talks to her that she doesn't know or hasn't seen for a while. She sees how her older Brother reacts first to the person then if he seems comfortable then she will be comfortable with them too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:59 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• They may be anxious but more likely you are projecting your anxiety on to your child. She feels it and being in tune with you reacts to it.
    Are these people you do not want to hold her or you are uncomfortable around? If it is someone like your MIL try to remember that your husband survived long enough to marry you. She must have done something right. Try to relax. If you really do not want people to hold your baby do not invite them to do so.
    If there is more to this story I may change my thoughts.

No your child can not have these phobias this young
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:04 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Look at the overall situation, too. Is the baby getting passed around from person to person? Some don't like that. Maybe there's too much noise and she's overstimulated.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:14 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• My second child was like that from around 2-3 months as well up unitl around age 2. Trust me, I have and had no anxiety... At 13 now, she is very social and friendly but as a baby and young toddler, if you weren't me, dad or her older sister..Nope nope, not gonna touch her.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:33 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• It can be something as simple as not liking the way some people smell or sound. Babies can be pretty sensitive to things that are "different." And if these are people to whom they're rarely exposed, they don't know what it's all about.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:41 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• This is all part of a baby's personality...they are all different..my grand child is 4 months old and smiles at everyone that holds her even if she has never seen them before, she is just one of those happy babies...for those who do the opposite, it just means they are not comfortable with strangers....revolving around their own little personalities, does not mean there is anything wrong....

Answer by older at 6:52 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I agree, its strange for me, as all 4 of my older kids were OK with random strange people. My youngest, however, cannot stand anyone she just doesn't know. You have to be around mommy or daddy for a couple hours before even touching her! Mind you, apparently she did sense something with my mom when she was here around baby's 6 month....because she went right to grandma.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:54 AM on Aug. 26, 2013