Cps & school

My son is 5, entering full day kindergarten program in two weeks. This Summer he's been at a half day camp/half daycare program all day Mon thru Fri. Every single day 20 days a month on the way home I'd have a bag of fruit snacks from the vending machine at my college in my purse for him. It was our special sneaky fun thing, he'll always pass me the yellow ones and the rest are his. And we go home to a healthy dinner and teeth brushing. Some frenemy of mine on instagram did a PRINT OUT from target of dozens of photos on different days (different hair, sometimes a hat, sunglasses, different t shirts) of him strapped into his booster in the backseat posing with his fruit snacks. CPS received an allegation and these photos saying all he ever eats is what camp/daycare provides him and then nothing but fruit snacks at home and on weekends. I called the number on the card and they said they'd speak with me next week but will be visiting my son at daycare tomorrow! I said how embarrassing, NO I'll just have a friend watch him tomorrow. Then they said that is ok school starts soon... and they knew his teachers name

YES I could have handled it better but I was blindsided, shocked, and creeped out. I want it handled at a neutral place, cps office, or my parents house... not my apartment and certainly not his school. In the meantime while I figure this mess out how do I block them from pulling him from class to ask stupid questions about his diet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Tell them you will meet them in THEIR office WITHOUT your son. They have no basis for an investigation.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 4:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I don't think you can block them. Also they have to come to your apartment to evaluate the living conditions(meaning if there is food in the house other then fruit snacks).

I think the better alternative would have been to allow them to complete there investigation as they have to legally follow up. Sure it may be a bit embarrassing to have them show up at camp but your defensive behavior just sends up red flags in their eyes.

Get a lawyer if you are worried.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• My ex turned me in twice to cps (both times unfounded). My understanding is you cannot keep them from talking to your kids at school. It's a neutral place where you can't influence what your kids say. But you do not have to let them into your home (I refused them the first time because I was so stunned but I think the investigation would have wrapped up sooner had I simply cooperated)

Answer by missanc at 4:23 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Not cooperating will make things look worse. Cooperate and the frenemy becomes a crank.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:25 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• That's insane! how does the fact that he has fruit snacks in the car prove he isn't getting anything to eat? I hope everything turns out ok for you,and that you've blocked that friend

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:28 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• who stalks people and takes pics of kids eating fruit snack in the car ride home
    creepy,i would be looking into some kind of stalk laws, see if this applies here

as for cps, i do not have any good info
    i would ask my lawyer if this happened to me

and good luck on your stalker ex friend/enemy, that is super spooky
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:29 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I agree, cooperate. I had to deal with those people once--the investigation was closed as completely unfounded--and it sounds like they'll just come to your house and see that you have food available besides fruit snacks. If that's all there is to the story, the proceedings shouldn't take long at all. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:31 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• You can keep them from going into your home... they cannot enter your home without a warrant and probable cause. Many people do not know that... I have been reported twice from a psycho family member and the second time I refused them at my home, made an appointment at THEIR office, I took my attorney, the case was dropped and filed harassment charges against the person doing it.

Unless their is a threat of imminent danger they cannot speak to your child without your consent or knowledge either.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I am going to attempt contact again soon after Ive calmed a little and suggest MY school, my college. there's a guidance office, meeting rooms, lots of space. the fruit snacks is just so strange, it seems so little and nothing. especially since i dont really buy them, as in carry them into the house in grocery bags. I make sure I have 85. cents daily for a single small pack of them in the vending are where my natural sciences class is held. I'm sure the food is way worse in the morning at camp, I know there's a good amount of marshmallow based trail mix . he did pass get a clean bill of dr and dentist health for his kindergarten registration and booster shots but the cps guy kept going back to the whole they'd speak with me next week thing. after I realized no amount of rationale or brainpower would make this go away, I became furious.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:37 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• there* not their
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 4:37 PM on Aug. 22, 2013