Creationists respond to Lawrence Krauss: Teach evolution in religion class with other ‘nonsense’

link

Unsurprisingly, Creation Ministries International doesn’t agree with atheist and theoretical physicist Lawrence Krauss.

In two videos recently uploaded to YouTube, the organization responded to Krauss’s remark in February that teaching creationism to children was a form of abuse.

In the first video, Richard Fangrad said “atheistic fundamentalists” like Krauss didn’t want children to learn about anything that could cast doubt on evolution.

He said one of the first to theorize about continental drift, 19th-century geographer Antonio Snider-Pellegrini, was a young Earth creationist, “but mentioning that might offend God-haters like Dr. Krauss, so should teachers leave that bit off since the evolution Nazis have got most people thinking today that there are no creation scientists?”

“Absolutely not,” Fangrad continued. “Just because some atheists might be offended by reality doesn’t mean we need to bend the truth or teach fairy tales to children.”

more 

How'bout we teach SCIENCE in School, and RELIGION in Church?  

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 4:32 PM on Aug. 22, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I wouldn't personally go so far as to agree that teaching creationism is a form of abuse, but I think teaching science in school and religion in church is a very good idea.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I am a "creationist"... do not believe we evolved from humans. I do not think evolution should be taught in religion class because it is not a religion. I believe it is a "science" and obviously science should be taught in school, through biology for this subject.

Now, I was taught evolution in biology at a public school but when transferred to a Christian school I was only taught creation in biology.... so there it turns into my responsibility as a parent to put my kid in a school where they are taught what I want them to learn. I am not scared for learning evolution, I am grateful that I know that other people believe differently and WHY they believe it... I am also not scared for learning creationism. If you don't want your child taught one thing or the other then don't send them to "that" school.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 4:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Lmao... "I don't believe we involved from humans"... I MEANT MONKEYS!
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 4:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I wouldn't want just a random public school teacher teaching creation science to my kids. I'd rather this be taught to them by a science teacher that personally believes what he/she is teaching. I also don't have a problem with my kids being taught evolution as long as the curriculum separates factual science from that which is speculation. I do want my kids taught what other's believe so they can understand the differences in the world views behind both beliefs. So, I agree Creationism shouldn't be taught in a public school. I have curricula at home to teach them creation science but have also taught my kids to ask questions respectfully at school, not argue with those in authority, and be respectful of different beliefs.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 5:37 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Here's the thing that gets me those who say that all they need to know is in the Bible. Really haven't read it or understand it. The first question I have for them is where in the Bible does say that it is the only authority on all things? Even God. As for the Science even Scientists don't agree on how and why we got here. There are too many variables, too many questions left unknown. Yes Science is getting closer, but not close enough. There are way too many mysteries in the universe. So with that when you bring in Faith and reason, you come up with both. I don't care what kind of School it is if the Science as we now it isn't taught then you are short changing your children.
    daps

Answer by daps at 6:43 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Arggggg as an anthropologist I just about lose my cookies every time I hear someone trot out the crap about "We didn't evolve from monkeys" . Please if you are going to use something in your argument, read-up on it. The theory of evolution DOES NOT say we evolved from monkeys. (Climbing down from soap box now)
    That said, every single society that has existed on this planet that we can gather any form of records from has some type of "poof" we exist story. Why should any one of these mythologies be more valid than another? (Again before you (general you) get your panties in a bunch about the term mythology, look up the academic definition, please.)
    Scientifically, evolution does happen, every day, all around us, are we humans exempt from it? The answer to that is No, we can see the changes in the human species by looking back just 1000 years.
    My vote evolution stays in the science department and creationism stays in humanities.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 8:00 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• " The theory of evolution DOES NOT say we evolved from monkeys. (Climbing down from soap box now)"

As another anthropologist, I agree lol. We share a common ancestor which significantly impacts the monkey argument. Also, if you want to get really silly, it's chimps, not monkeys, which are different.

I think that it's perfectly acceptable to have religion taught in school but not in science class. It's odd to think that only about 30 years ago this wasn't even an issue. If I recall correctly the first major lawsuit was in 1980, in one of the southern states.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:06 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• **Aside from the Scopes trial.
    Mrs_Prissy

• It terrifies me that we're even having this debate.  We're about the only industrialized nation that's having it.  In all other parts of the world, theocracies aside, evolution is accepted without debate, because it is scientifically sound.  We have evidence of it all around us. 

I strongly disagree with the notion that parents should be able to decide whether or not to allow their children to be taught mythology as fact, and scientific fact as something to be disputed.  We are allowing the dumbing down of our children, and slipping behind other nations in all areas, except, perhaps in ignorance.  We seem to be keeping up with theocracies (think "Taliban") in that area.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 1:36 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• the evolution Nazis

I don't bother to listen to any speaker who feels a need to label 99% of professional biologists as "nazis".

It just isn't a productive way to have a discussion.   He's preaching to the choir.

Clairwil

Answer by Clairwil at 4:16 AM on Sep. 27, 2013