When does sex start to induce your pregnancy?

I'm 34 weeks and hear that having sex will make you go into labor sooner, but when?! Should my husband and i stop having sex at a certain point? If so, when?

knjones

Asked by knjones at 10:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it only works if u are about to pop anyways
    Anonymous

• Well, if you're dilated you probably will be advised not to have sex. The only time my doctor said to not have sex was when I was walking around dilated to 4 cm for a couple weeks. It can lead to an infection. That said, my daughter (other child, my first) was born at 38 weeks, we had sex right before my water broke. Just my personal experience.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:06 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Its actually a certain protein in sperm that helps soften your cervix. So there is not telling when exactly. Ive only heard of infection happening after your water breaks.. i was only dilated to 2 for almost a week and my doctor said it was find. Ask your doc to see what they advise. Its different for everyone. And good luck to you!
    xburtonchickx

Answer by xburtonchickx at 10:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• sex doesn't induce labor lol.. so there is absolutely no reason to stop having sex. It doesn't work all the time and will only work if your body is ready for it to go in labor. (provided your doc hasn't put you on pelvic rest etc).

There is a protein in semen called prostoglandin which can soften your cervix. Orgasm cause contractions which could jumpstart labor. None of these are 100 percent certain to throw you into labor and most definitely wont do it before your body is ready.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:15 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• You wont get an infection if you're already dilated either. The time infections can happen is after your water breaks, then the amniotic sac is no longer in tact and protecting the fetus.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:16 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• When your body is ready to go into labor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Feb. 19, 2009