'God is Dead' art removed from Newton Co. school

link

NEWTON COUNTY, Ga. -

Controversial artwork with the words "God is dead" has been removed from the wall of a Newton County high school after attracting worldwide attention.

The posters, featuring a quote from the Arthur Miller play "The Crucible," were displayed at Alcovy High School as part of a language arts project. 

Crystal Mitchell complained that the artwork upset her 10th grade daughter. 

"She had no idea what ‘The Crucible' was, so to her they were just simply words on a wall," said Mitchell.

more

Overreaction?  Yeah or Nay 

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 6:47 PM on Aug. 22, 2013 in Religious Debate

• yes
    That's quite the sensitive 16 year old,there

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:53 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Art should provoke thought and research if someone becomes offended and remains ignorant then they will never appreciate art. But if someone becomes offended and grows to be enlighten then that is what moves the world forward.
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 6:56 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Things like this make me ashamed to say that I live in Georgia.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• reminds me of the people that wanted The Diary of Anne Frank banned from schools because of the talk of the female anatomy. so because her daughter doesn't know what The Crucible (and apparently is missing half of her brain cells) is, the entire school should take something down that reflects literature and has zilch to do with religion?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I just... I hate stuff like this At that age I had read The Crucible and would have known to take the words in that context. Even if I hadn't known what it was from, I would have thought to ask before getting my panties bunched up.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:06 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Here's what shocks me a 10th grader that doesn't know what the Crucible is or read it. It was Middle School required reading for me. But then again that was around 45 years ago give or take a few years. Our children are becoming sooooooo illiterate.
    daps

Answer by daps at 7:10 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• daps- The Crucible was still required reading when i was in school, and that was only 10 years ago. i want to say it was in my sophomore, maybe junior year that we read it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Yeah, not sure how she had managed to not read it yet. That seems odd. People need to stop being so sensitive.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 7:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I read The Crucible in 8th grade. That was 30 yrs ago though.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:15 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I read that in 7th grade,back in the early 80's

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:19 PM on Aug. 22, 2013