Do you find this wrong or is it just me?

My daughter just started kindergarten and her teacher has been asking her if she goes to church and keeps talking to her about church, making her feel bad because all of her classmates go to church. Don't get me wrong I have NOTHING against going to church, but I just find it wrong that she is talking to my child about this. Like I said, nothing wrong with going to church, but I feel that it isn't her place to do so and to make my daughter feel like she is different than everyone else because of it. I feel like she should be devoting her attention more toward teaching my child rather than talking about that to her. I don't want to talk to her about it because I am afraid it will reflect negatively on my daughter and make her take it out on her. How would anyone of you feel about the situation, and what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Aug. 22, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Go to the principal. Let the principal know this is happening and that you want it stopped. If this is a public school next stop is ACLU.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• While we do go to church(not extremely often but we do go), I would find it odd and inappropriate that the teacher is asking the child about it. That being said have you asked the teacher exactly what was said? If not then that is what I would recommend, and then explain that your family has their own beliefs but that school is not an appropriate avenue to discuss them with anyone.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:50 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• first you need to verify that your teacher is actually saying this stuff to your child, sometimes kids say things that aren't true. if it is, then if i were in your shoes i'd be raising all kinds of hell. if the teacher 'takes it out' on your child then she's an unprofessional hag and should be removed from the public school system.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:50 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• It is not just you. I'm a Christian and I would have a problem with that, too. If it is happening, it needs to be stopped.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:52 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• It's inappropriate of her. You need to talk to the principal.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 7:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• This is not appropriate by any means. Go to the principal and tell them you heard this is happening and please look into it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:04 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Totally inappropriate! Go talk to principal as others have said.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 8:07 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I go to church, and so does my daughter, but I would be highly offended if her kindergarten teacher brought it up. Especially if she's making your daughter feel different or excluded, it's inexcusable. I would report the problem to the principal, and go higher if you don't get satisfaction. That's so far out of line, it's shocking.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Talk to the teacher about it. IF she is really doing that, tell her that if she keeps it up, you will talk to the principal about it.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:25 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I agree with the others. It's inappropriate. Talk to the Principal.

Answer by louise2 at 8:30 PM on Aug. 22, 2013