This is so unfair! adult content

My husb. works at a "non-profit" hospital. For a nonprofit, they sure pay their CEO's & other higher ups very well. They've also been snatching up property & building new buildings all over the place. They just had a meeting today telling the employees that their measly 2% COLA raise to cover the 2.5% increase in Medical insurance coverage wasn't happening this year. And that they may need to sacrifice more to help the co-workers in their dept. keep their jobs. WTH?! Every year for the past 10 yrs. the 2% COLA raise doesn't even cover the increase in Medical Premiums, let alone the increase in everything else in life! Now this?! How much more are we supposed to take?! The next so-called expert that says our economy is headed in the right direction, I think I will punch him in the face! What about you?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 9:17 PM on Aug. 22, 2013 in Money & Work

• I worked for the same clinic for years and never got a raise. Couldn't afford the health ins either. The hosp I worked for gave us 1 or 1.5% each year. It was ridiculous.

And looking for a new job won't help. It's like this pretty much everywhere. Unless you're a bigwig you don't make squat.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I know it sucks. The economy is horrible. I've been at my job for 3 yrs and have only received 1 raise. Last year, my department was down sized and I went from a cushy office job that I was darn good at to a warehouse job. Talk about a slap in the face. I don't have any benefits and I'm watching everyone around me get the axe. I've been looking for a different job for a while but just not having any luck.

I understand the frustration. Hopefully we can get someone in office to ACTUALLY turn things around. Those stimulus checks we got a few yrs back would sure be useful right about now.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Yeah, the suffering isn't anywhere near coming to a close. Reading about all of the companies that are going to a majority of part time workers (at least one of which is going to ALL part time employees to avoid having to provide benefits), along with the UE rate going way back up, and the news reports stating that in most states that welfare pays more than a minimum wage job in 35 states isn't very comforting either. I still have yet to figure out where the recovery is.

That said, homes in my area are still selling and rental rates are steadily rising as well. It will be a wonder how many families will continue to have a roof over their heads AND food on the table when things get a little worse.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:31 AM on Aug. 23, 2013

• I feel ya, we have to take furlough. This was told to us because we are over production because THEY just built a new 40 bed ICU tower that we were training staff to open. So now we are dinged, oh and to smooth everything over, it was explained this was better than laying off staff..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• "Non-profit" simply means that they can't have any revenue left at the end of their fiscal year. So, they give bonuses starting at the top with what's left over. It sucks, I know.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:45 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Yup it sucks! DH is an independant fisherman so we are on the hook to pay all self employment taxes, etc. and health insurance. Our health insurance premiums keep going up and I am terrified at what awaits when the COBRA runs out from my old job in a couple of months. Supposedly we will have more options to choose from, but I haven't seen anything yet. All I know is that with no more money coming in and expenses going up things get harder the longer you last in this world, not easier!! I will be jumping at the chance to get some small job when DD goes to kindergarten next year, not because I don't love being here for the family, we will just be glad for the $$$.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:31 AM on Aug. 23, 2013

• Neither my husband, nor I have gotten raises for the past several years, yet insurance premiums have raised, as has the cost of everything else. I actually think you are pretty lucky that he has received raises for the past several years.

ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 9:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I'm in healthcare and haven't gotten a COLA for about 10 years. Welcome to the new healthcare business model.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 9:22 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• My DH has a GS/Government job.  We did that furlow BS.  Might have  to go through it again.

Answer by louise2 at 9:23 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I keep hearing that the economy is improving, but so far the good stuff sure hasn't trickled down to where I'm at yet.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:31 PM on Aug. 22, 2013