Can i put this down as a job?

i volunteer at my churches clothes closet. i'm about to fill out an app doing for doing the same thing i do there. i haven't worked in a few years, can i put down my volunteer as a job? it's been awhile since i've filled out an app

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 10:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2013 in Money & Work

• Yes you can just put down that it is volunteer if they ask. Also try and get a letter of recommendation from your supervisor at the church you volunteered for.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:20 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Yes, just be clear that it was a volunteer position and not a paid position. Also, since you have volutunteered, you are 27% more likely to land a job than someone who hasn't volunteered.

http://www.nationalservice.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2013/volunteers-more-likely-land-jobs-study-finds

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:21 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Yes
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• i've been helping out there for over a year now. i know she would give me one. if it was a job, i would have only taken three days off. two because i was sick, and had to call her that morning to let her know i wasn't coming. the other day i gave almost a month because i took my kids to the back to school bash at the concord mall.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• No you put it under other activities and be sure to list it a volunteer.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:46 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I'd just put it down as a volunteer job. Stress that you're doing the same work for which you ae applying. The reason I'd make the distinction of volunteering is that as much as it's like real work, you have more leeway. You can't exactly get fired for minor offenses the way you can if you are a paid employee.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:17 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Oh yes absolutely! If it's relevant or you think it would enhance your resume, by all means flaunt what you've got. Work is work even if you don't get paid for it. I've done this for volunteer jobs that were relevant to my position, and it worked well. As a legal tip, for a job application (not resumes), you don't have to even fill out your pay/salary info or social security number. It's not required to be hired but they can ask and believe me companies will ask because they know most people don't know that. That way, they can figure out if they can pay you less and look up other info about you, so it's to your advantage to leave that field blank. For the SSN, just write "Available upon hire." There's no reason for them to know your SSN unless it's for a required background check, which usually includes papers specifying it's going to be used for that reason only. Employers must explain why they need your SSN every time.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 5:24 AM on Aug. 23, 2013