Would it be okay to leave an almost 9 year old home alone from 6 am-7 am?

I am trying to find a time to get some exercise in. I live just down the road to a park and would love to be able to go walk/run about three mornings during the week. My state doesn't have any certain age laws of being left alone, only guidelines. His age fits into the guidelines for being left alone. And he doesn't get up until about 7 during the weekday. I figured that I could let him know the night before that if he wakes up and I am not home, that I would be home soon. I am just trying to figure out a way to work, go to school, exercise, take my son to scouts, soccer practice, etc. and still stay sane. Is this a good idea?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 10:49 PM on Aug. 22, 2013 in General Parenting

• Personally, I wouldn't do it.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:50 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Honestly for me I could not do that.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 10:52 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I couldn't do it either. I would however take him to the park with me. Even if he sits and reads a book or plays a handheld game, he is close enough to get help if he needs it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:54 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I wouldn't have a problem with it. But I live on a quiet street in a city without much violence. Also, I would lock my doors and have my keys with. It's not like you are going to be gone long or that you are far. Plus he falls in the guidelines.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 10:55 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• As long as you lock the door and he has a way to contact you if necessary, I see no problem, that is until/ if something does become a problem. : he starts being late for school. he falls down breaks his leg in 3 places and lays in agony because you are not the, (just kidding, Discovers that since you are gone for a full hour he is free to subscribe to every porn site he can find and you, bills including the live sex chat is now about the same as your mortgage. But you will solve that by making him dress like and urchin and sell matches by the street to pay for it..... Little did you know, he was not alone............
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:57 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• SleepingBeautee, I wouldn't want to wake him up any earlier than I had to. He has a tough time falling asleep as it is and needs all the sleep he can get.

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 10:58 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Do you think he is mature enough to be left alone for an hour? Does he know how to contact you? Does he know what to do in case of an emergency? Will he freak out if he is left alone (even if he is supposed to be sleeping)? It really depends on you and what you are comfortable with.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:08 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• I don't think I would be comfortable with it. Finding time to juggle everything is really hard, but for me, leaving a kid in the house alone at that age wouldn't be a viable option.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• Holy Cow, I read that as 9 MONTHS and was like No fricken WAY is she even considering it, phew, 9 YEARS! haha

OK so this one is tough and I think it really depends on the kid! I know that my now 6yr old has the calm personality where he could probably be left alone at 9, but my nephew has the Hyper Gotta Get Into Everything Now Now Now Go Go Go personality that I couldn't leave him home alone.
    Why can't he go with you? Walking with you, biking, scooter-ing, roller blades etc?? it would be the perfect opportunity to teach him about how good exercise is for you.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:15 PM on Aug. 22, 2013

• kmath, I think he is ready for it. We have done "trial runs" in the afternoons. I pick him up from school and take him home and then I go back to work. My husband is there during that time, however, he is asleep but still there if he is needed. In all honesty, he will probably be asleep the entire time, every time. The only thing that we need to do is getting a prepaid cell phone or something for him to use in case of an emergency since we don't have a home phone (only cell phones). 

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Aug. 22, 2013