The apple doesnt fall far from the tree?

What does that mean? Of course it doesn't fall far. It just falls down!

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 2:18 AM on Aug. 23, 2013 in General Parenting

• Ow.
    It.
    Hit.
    Me.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:24 AM on Aug. 23, 2013

• I don't know exactly what it means. The only time it was ever said to me was when I told a family friend that my daughter was feisty and stubborn. He laughed and said, "Well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, does it?"
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:42 AM on Aug. 23, 2013

• Good point! And we also say "family tree"- so if my kid isn't a fruit, then they're a branch! lol :p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:42 AM on Aug. 23, 2013

• Yep. It's a statement of the obvious about apples, but it's not ABOUT apples. It's just a comment that applies the (obvious) truth about apples to people. It expresses the observer's opinion that whatever they're observing that is happening right then makes sense, because it's perceived by the person speaking to be a characteristic of the parent.

Apples do just fall down, not far, and when kids do something their parents used to do or something that is typical of the parent, people use that phrase (which expresses the obvious) to point out the relationship.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:57 AM on Aug. 23, 2013

• It means that usually your kids are just like you/SO/DH as the grow up. Similarities in personality & actions.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:48 AM on Aug. 23, 2013

• Same as "she comes by it honestly."
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2013