Dried beans or canned?

Which are most delicious and nutritious?!

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 2:23 AM on Aug. 23, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I have never used dried beans. They scare me. I've seen little kids get them stuck up their noses.

Gotta go with canned.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:25 AM on Aug. 23, 2013

• We do both. Dry beans taste better and are healthier (IMO) as you can control what seasonings you use and the sodium level. The crock pot is great tool for cooking dry beans.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 7:01 AM on Aug. 23, 2013

• I prefer to cook my own. If you soak them over night, they will cook pretty quickly. There's also a quick soak method where you boil them for 2 minutes, let them soak for one hour, then cook. Very nutritious and inexpensive meal.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:33 AM on Aug. 23, 2013

• I only use canned in a pinch. I use the crockpot as suggested and cook my dried beans that way, and make up big batches that get frozen in 2 cup portions in Ziploc bags. It's healthier, and much MUCH cheaper doing it.

Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:38 AM on Aug. 23, 2013

• I usually go for canned because they're convenient and because since I don't have a pressure cooker, they're softer than I can get dry beans on the stove or in the crockpot. But the most delicious beans in the history of *ever* were the dry pinto beans that my grandma would make every week in her pressure cooker and serve with eggs and potatoes for breakfast, or just plain in bowls with warm tortillas. My mouth is totally watering just thinking of those beans. I don't guess I'll ever taste anything quite that good again.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:30 AM on Aug. 23, 2013

• anything canned is less healthy than not canned

though, I always go for the canned beans- I use them for chili and I get like 3 different ones. Otherwise it's just refried ones, or once in agreat while we will have baked beans (also from a can)

when I was a kid - we used non- canned ones- I HATED them
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:20 AM on Aug. 23, 2013

• I go with dried beans always except for Ranch Style.

Once a month I cook pinto beans or red beans in the crockpot. I divide them into quart size zip lock bags and freeze them. Easy peasy dinner for nights I don't want to cook. Also simply to defrost for a recipe that calls for beans.

The CP method doesn't require soaking. I've actually never soaked beans over night that I can recall.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 9:52 AM on Aug. 23, 2013

• dry. that's what I grew up with, my daddy would have a fit if mama ever made canned beans lol I like dry b/c you can add whatever flavors you want, I love black eyed peas, I put slices of onion and a ham bone in mine when I cook them. SOOOOOO YUMMY!
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• We do both. I really try to always cook my own, but I often run out of time and the canned ones are so fast and easy. When I remember I cook a large batch in the crockpot and freeze them in 2 cup portions for recipes. I think the dry ones are healthier as you control the amount of salt and other chemicals in them.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:46 AM on Aug. 23, 2013

• Dry beans taste a million times better to me. with that said, I'm to lazy so I get canned lol I'm not sure what's more nutritious but if I had to guess I'd say dry.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 8:39 AM on Aug. 23, 2013