How do I get my 3 year old daughter to go poop in the potty chair?

My little girl is to the point that she no longer needs pull ups at night or at nap time but she will not poop in the potty but she will go potty. I have taken her to the bathroom with me several times and so has my mother and grandma. She gets to flush the toilet and she is fine with it but she will not go poop. I did not have a pull up on her for two days and she never pooped so I thought well I will put one on her and sure enough she went within a couple of minutes. She did go poop one time in the potty but by total accident. After she did it she looked in the toilet she started crying and asking why, why mommy. I tried to let her know she did a great job and that is what happens. She has not pooped in the toilet since. I have even sat in the bathroom and read to her and told her if she poops she gets some m&m's but still no luck. It has been almost 11 months since her going by accident.

KS_Mom42082

Asked by KS_Mom42082 at 11:18 AM on Aug. 23, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She may be stressed because it looks different to see an object get flushed away. It weirded my dd out at first. I waved bye bye to the waste in the bowl and encouraged her to send them off on their adventure by flushing. Weird, but it worked for mine. I also upped the reward ante from m&m's to a chocolate coin for #2 and she was all set in about a week. GL
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 1:03 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• Mine always went better using a potty seat on the big potty rather than using a little potty

Answer by missanc at 1:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• Mine hated the little potty chair thing, but the padded ring seat on the regular toilet was a breeze for her.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:23 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• sorry I have to LOL at the idea of controlling someone else's body functions. When she goes in the pull up walk to the potty and dump the contents in the toilet. Let her say goodbye and flush it away. You'll have to explain to her that the toilet is where it belongs. Mommy puts hers in there, daddy puts his in there, and now that she's old enough she gets to put hers in there. This is something she's going to have to come to terms with on her own. You can lead her to the toilet, but you can't make her poop. Any other kids her age that she can model will help. Nothing like a little peer pressure. Unless you just want to cut the pull up cold turkey or a little at a time, she has to do this herself. Just try to set the example.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• Take her to the potty the at same times everyday.
    If you see her hiding behind a chair or in a corner
    means she's probably trying to go poop, or as we say
    (shoeies). So when you see her doing that, take her
    and set her on the potty and say you go poopy in
    the potty not your pull-up. Also try putting her in
    regular underwear cause if she goes in it, she won't
    like the way it feels. But beware of possible constipation.
    Mycutelittleboy

Answer by Mycutelittleboy at 3:08 AM on Sep. 8, 2013