Spin-off: Maybe the system needs to be reformed.

There's a lot of public outrage, as there probably should be, against people who "cheat the system." We hear about Welfare queens driving Cadillacs, people collecting housing subsidies in million-dollar homes, moms having more babies to get bigger checks, etc, etc. But there's an opposite side to that coin, as there always is.

In many other countries, single moms, the elderly, the disabled, those injured at work, and anyone else who falls on hard times are left to beg, starve, or fend for themselves. This has not been the American way, especially since the Great Depression and the New Deal. Should it be?

Maybe the system needs to be reformed so that there's a gradual cutoff in the money received, instead of penalizing people for getting jobs by taking away their benefits without allowing them to save up and get on their feet first. What incentive is there for a single mom to find work when she'll lose the medical benefits, childcare, and food stamps that she depends onto support her children, and make less money than she would on the system, besides not being home with her kids? What incentive is there to keep families together when a mom gets more money if she raises her children alone than she would if she married their father? Sometimes it's a problem of mathematics, not of personal ethics.

And what about the perpetuating cycle? What can be done to teach the young people raised on entitlements that there's something better out there? Years ago, I lived next door to a lifelong Welfare mom--that's what she called herself, not my words--whose thirteen-year-old daughter confided in me one day that she couldn't wait for someone to "plug her and get her knocked up" so she could rent her own trailer and get her own check. She hadn't even finished middle school, and that was the best she thought she could do for herself. I've never forgotten that girl. Is society right to point fingers and blame her because she was never taught she could do better?

I've been accused of telling too many stories, but this is personal. I had a teacher in high school tell me once that I wasn't worth bothering with because I was just going to graduate, get on Disability, and suck off the public tit for the rest of my life. I had a teacher in college complain to me that he didn't feel he should be forced to have disabled students in his classes because they wasted valuable resources that would be better used for students who would actually contribute to society someday. I didn't take those words to heart. Yes, I receive Disability and Medicare, but I also have my own business. I work for a living, pay taxes, support the local economy, and deal with the disdain of people who think I'm a freeloader. And the system is stacked against people like me getting out of its clutches, because God forbid we try to save any money to make the leap from dependence to self-sufficiency. There are no steps to climb for people who are interested in bettering themselves--there's only a slippery cliff with very few handholds.

I don't expect what I've written to change anybody's mind who is already dead set on an opposite opinion, but I believe some things need to be said anyway.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 3:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• IMO, When oil companies stop getting corporate welfare, we can start thinking about reforming welfare for the poor.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 4:59 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• 1. Assuming that at least 50% of welfare spending is due to the cost of Medicare, how many Medicare of those users are elderly/disabled and how many are families with dependent children?

2. What is the national average of cash assistance per month? I was under the impression that welfare reform cut off additional monies when family size exceeded the guidelines

3. If non married couples live together and one receives monetary assistance, should marriage be required?

4. What is the national average of food stamp dollars received per month for a family with children versus elderly users?

I think it is all good and well to rue the system but until someone can back up the claims listed in the OP I will remain a bit skeptical. We've been hearing this argument for years now but I've noticed that when it the data is analyzed, the assertions listed above don't pass the smell test.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• I think it is all good and well to rue the system but until someone can back up the claims listed in the OP I will remain a bit skeptical.

As you should be - the vast majority of assistance recipients are elderly or under 18. They don't have the OPTION to choose assistance over work.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:21 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• eye rolling

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• you asked where the incentive is for single moms and for women to marry the dads when they can get more by staying single......

Incentive, teaching yoru kids that while you may need help from the government you CAN get above it and do it yourself IF you want to. You are teaching your kids that with sacrafice adn hard work you can provide for your OWN.

Incentive to marry the dad, you are showing your children that you love thier dad more than "money" and that again, with sacrafice and hard work you can do it. No, you may not get everything you want, you may have to eat beans and cornbread 2-3 times a week but it CAN be done.

luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 4:16 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• I do think the system need to be rethought completely.
    I do think that there should be help for those on welfare to get out. Not necessarily a cut off but perhaps a step system.
    I do think that if the recipient takes money to go to school and get a job (s)he should be given a certain amount of time to do so and then tapered or cutoff. I was in apartment building with women who took the money for training and given help to locate and secure jobs who decided it hurt to stand on their feet etc. and welfare allowed them to stay on. I think that is wrong.
    People who lose their jobs may need assistance and should be helped but it should have a cut off point.
    Women who already have children should be covered under welfare no mattr how many they have when they enter the system. There should be help and training and a cut off.
    Women who enter the system should be given access to birth control but if they have another chil
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• cont'd

I have no issue with those who need it accessing it but there should be a wean off program. Just like with WIC you know that when your kids reach a certian age, you do not get it anymore.

With government Grants for school, you only qualify for so much etc.

For a 30.00 a month pay cut, we could get Food Stamps. A nice amount! We did not opt for this when the case worker informed us it would be beneficial. We do with out sometimes, others we don't. I would have never considered not marrying my daughters father so that I could get free medical etc. (I should have not married him for other reasons), but it would have never crossed my mind to keep us apart so that we could get free government benefits.

luvmygrandgirl

• Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• "Maybe the system needs to be reformed so that there's a gradual cutoff in the money received, instead of penalizing people for getting jobs by taking away their benefits without allowing them to save up and get on their feet first."

100 times, this!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• I'll look up sources to cite and will return to this post with those
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 4:07 PM on Aug. 23, 2013