Mixed emotions about my husband leaving for a month long training.

At first I was kind of excited about him being gone for a month. That would mean a month of not having to plan around his schedule, not having to have dinner on the table by 6 even though I don't get off work until 5. The only thing I would have to worry about is myself and our son. He leaves on Sunday and now I find myself being more emotional and not wanting him to be gone that long. I am trying to hold back my emotions since I know he is really excited about this training. It sucks though. I do plan to keep myself busy. I will be starting classes on September 1st, so that will keep me very busy plus work, Jeremy's scouts and soccer, I am sure time will fly by. So, I have two questions-

1. How can I keep it together the next two days without seeming like a crying clingy wife?

2. I have a list of things that I would like to accomplish. Any tips on making sure that I get those things accomplished while he is gone?

crying

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 3:39 PM on Aug. 23, 2013 in Relationships

• My husband just left for a month too.. I'm wondering if u live where I live lol
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 12:13 AM on Aug. 26, 2013

• Hm. Well I might get pissy about "having" to have dinner on the table by 6 when I'm not off work till 5! That would be good for weeks of not being a crying emotional wife. Might even be good for weeks in the gazebo for my husband!

But seriously, let him know you're going to miss him. It's OK to do that, in fact he'll appreciate it. And remember that the training will mean good things for all of you down the line.

For the "things to do" list, plan on a couple a week. And give yourself permission to NOT get them all done.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:46 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• Well, as I am 6 months into Dh's 3rd deployment I get how you're feeling. It always sucks when they leave, but you know Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder!! Think of the reunion when he gets home! Rawr haha
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• At this point, just think of it as a mini vacation, do something for yourself (get your hair done, mani/pedi if you're into those things) and have a fresh look before he gets home, maybe get some new bedding to freshen the look in there Just do something that will get you excited for him to come home. We always hate that feeling of them leaving. Honestly I might be a little worried about you two if you were insanely ecstatic that h was leaving! haha
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• Oops, I guess I should have mentioned that he has to be at work at 7, so that's why dinner needs to be done by 6. He is not a complete tyrant, I promise!

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• We've been through three deployments plus numerous trainings. For some reason, this one is throwing me off. I don't know if it is because my sister asked me how I was feeling about him being gone or that we were going to visit him and decided not to that way him and I can go on a weekend vacation when he gets back.

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• I spent 18 of my DH's 20 of army life doing the waiting game while my DH was gone for months or years at a time in the Military. It is ok for him to know you will miss him. Do what you can while he is gone.
    Best to try to keep your routine while he is gone. It will be hard to get back into it when he comes back.

Answer by louise2 at 2:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• He doesn't know how to cook? Or he has gotten use to you doing it for him?

Answer by louise2 at 2:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• louise2, he works 12 hour shifts, plus he was going to school (he had to take this semester off because of this training). He would work 7 pm-7 am, work out, go to class and then go to bed at noon and wake up at 6. He would have no time to cook.

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2013