Autism related ridiculousness

Link: http://www.komonews.com/news/national/Teachers-allergy-to-Ohio-girls-service-dog-sparks-dispute-220831601.html

Ok, I get that many children with autism NEED routine and consistency and all that. My son does better on routines, but also does well with spur of the moment things as well.

I think this goes over the line though. Mother is pissed that she's been told her 6 year old with a therapy dog has to switch schools because the special ed teacher at the current school is highly allergic to dog dander. The school they want to move the child to is 5 miles from the current one, and Mom is pitching a fit that the bus ride will now be double and blah blah blah.

I get that accommodations are to be made and all that, but this mother seems to be completely disregarding anyone and anything but her child. What do y'all think?

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 4:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2013 in Special Needs

• It sounds like it would be better to home school.
    Other children in the school may also be allergic to dogs and whether they are in the same classroom or not could be exposed to the dander.
    I am so tired of the me, me , me attitude.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:16 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• It's funny that she is all for making concessions, as long as it's someone else doing the conceding.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:19 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• I feel for both sides
    I'm the mom of an autistic son,so I know how difficult it was for him to adjust to change

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• Not in our school. There are no nuts allowed. Period.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• As a service dog user, I feel for both sides. But five miles isn't terribly far, so I'm not sure why the mom is making such a big deal about a double-length bus ride.

I'm curious what a therapy dog does for a young autistic child. Not doubting the validity of using one in any way, I've just never heard of a dog serving a child with autism before. It used to be that service dogs weren't often given to children, but that is changing.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:40 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• Ballad,they can keep the child from wandering. Some can sense when the child is about to have a breakdown and can calm the child

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• I don't see the need for a therapy dog at school anyway. They are doing other types of therapy there and allergies aside the dog could be a huge distraction. My son is in a self contained class and if one if the kids in there brought a dog my son would never have been able yo calm down - he has a powerful unexplainable insane fear of dogs.

Answer by missanc at 5:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• Can't they switch the teacher I mean what's the difference for the grown up. Kids always have a hard time switching schools special needs or not.

pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 7:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• I disagree, the teacher shouldn't have to transfer to another school, just b/c 1 of her possible 8-12 students uses a therapy dog that she's allergic to. He can be accommodated at a school, just a little further away. As long as the school provides an education according to his IEP, I really don't think this mother has a case. I understand change can be difficult, but we experience change all throughout our lives. All children need to be taught how to cope with those changes. The school is also considering the changes just one student will have to adjust to, rather than the rest of his classmates adjusting to a new teacher.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:30 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• I would gladly have my son go to another school. While I want my son to get the best he can get. I also want him to learn he is not the center of the universe.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 7:50 PM on Aug. 23, 2013