Private Parts

What do you mama's teach your child or children to say in regards to their private area...I obviously call them "Private Parts" , but curious as to what others teach their children and why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Aug. 23, 2013 in General Parenting

• You have them call it what it is. Vulva,vagina,breasts,penis,testicles,anus

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• when my kids were young, we called them girl parts and boy parts
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:54 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• DD's 5 and we call them several different things. she knows the real words, but they have no real meaning to her. she doesnt really know what her vagina is...at least not in the same way as her hand or her ears...as she cant see it. so we also say "the place were pee/poop comes out" so she has a better idea of what we're talking about. she also knows her brother has a penis.

DS is 2 and its his penis, pee-pee, or wiener...mainly cause i love the word wiener (snicker) and pee-pee is its function (right now).

i see no problem in using pet names so long as kids know the real names as well.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• I've always used technical terms and nicknames interchangeably.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• We usually refer to it as his private parts but use the technical terms as well. He used to call his balls/testicals his "brain" lol as I guess they looked like a brain to him lol. But he hasn't done that in a while and knows the technical name for them, but he doesn't really talk about his parts anymore.(he is nearly 6).
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:59 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• I ask because, when we taught eyes, ears, nose etc....I kind of left that part out, I think we called her butt her "bottom" or "bum" . I just did not know how to say , it just sounded so grown and they are so little at the time.

Now with school starting, I feel it's important to teach them the correct way vs the cute way...due to them needing to be aware of good touching and bad etc... I know that's a whole other subject. Anyway, just curious how other moms dealt with it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• She knows the technical terms but is aware that saying them in a group such as the classroom is not something we do just to be saying it. She is aware of when to speak of it and when not. She would get sent to the office in KG for using the true term, I think its dumb BUT it is what it is
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 5:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• That is what we call them too unless there is a specific nee. They both knew the proper names for them and would say the name without a qualm but they were also taught that private parts is a better, more polite term to use outside of mom and dad.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• My Son (6) knows the correct term for his privates but we say "winkie & heiney". He does not know the correct terms for female genitalia. He calls his sister's ( she's 2) privates "her crotch". LOL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• I wouldn't have qualms about using the proper names for private body arts, but honestly, t asn't cme up with my five-year-old. She says 'bottom' and 'butt' pretty interchangeably, but she's never had a need to call the more personal parts by name.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:39 PM on Aug. 23, 2013