Have you ever had a doctor be WAY off on a diagnosis of you or a loved one? adult content

When I was 4,I was eating breakfast before school,and told my mom I didn't feel well. All of a sudden I felt nauseated and ran for the bathroom. I didn't quite make it,and threw up what looked like coffee grounds all over the kitchen floor,then passed out. My mom called my uncle over and asked him to take us to the hospital.
We sat in the waiting room for an hour and a half,and then another half hour or so in the exam room. When the doctor came in,he acted all pissed off and told us it was a stomach virus,and gave us the BRAT diet and liquids talk. Thank goodness the nurse decided to get a weight and height check for me,because while on the scale,I threw up even more blood,this time bright red,and passed out again.
I woke up almost 2 days later in the hospital with IV's of fluids and blood
I had a peptic ulcer in my stomach the size of a dime,and it had perforated.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 5:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2013 in Health

• When my sister was about 3 or 4, my mom took her to the doctor and the doctor's diagnosis was the she needed more attention. She had worms. Unfortunately, this quack of a doctor is still practicing.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• I woke up one day about a month after getting married with pain in nearly all my joints. They would also become inflammed, red and hot to the touch. I went the clinic I was being seen at. They said it was from picking up my then 18 mth old son. I got a second opinion once I started college up again(school clinic) who sent me to a rheumatologist....diagnosed nearly a year later with Psoriatic arthritis...which is an autoimmune arthritis.

Same clinic but before arthritis, I was having seizures so they put me on Tegretol. then I lost my taste, I mean I couldn't taste anything. For 3 months I kept asking them if it could be the medication, they kept telling me no. I finally saw a neurologist and asked him. He said he hadn't heard of it but he was taking me off the med to see. As soon as I was off the med for a few days I regained all my taste....though I had lost near 30 lbs that summer...
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• I took my son to the doctor and told him I suspected he had autism. He poo-pooed the idea. I insisted and he said he thought I was wasting my time, but he'd give the referral if I insisted. My son was then diagnosed autistic! I changed his doctor and I got my son's medical records from that doctor. In it was written that Mother was histrionic about son possibly having autism and he gave a referral to placate me.

He later apologized and said his practice is now trained with autism and does a screening for all children.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 6:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• Between me & my loved ones, they're too numerous to name, unfortunately. Their mistakes were biggies too. I know they're only human, but when people's lives are at stake, you can't afford a mistake. Mistakes cost lives.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• father had skin thing, one doctor dismissed, he got 2nd opinion- it was cancer

i had got really sick at work, taken to doctor, he asked what meds i was on- told him, he said did the pharmacist not tell you that you can not take these together- told him they were prescribed by same doctor! the two together were deadly, one taken off market 20 years back because it was killing people when also on antibiotics, had reaction to seldine (sp?) so doctor then put me also on antibiotic

passed out at work 10 years ago, taken to er, they hooked up my to oxygen and fluid
    they asked what i ate last night, had pizza with sausage that did not agree with me, they said i was dehydrated, sent me home (although while in hospital before fluids i had to go and did not have bad reaction to pizza, just alittle, not enought to dehydrate
    days later after srinking tons of water a day, same fainting stuff, called hospital, they said - over hydrated..
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• hey said - over hydrated..REALLY??!!
    i complained to head of hosptial and told what medical staff said, i did not pay any bill and that had included a very expensive ambulance ride
    zero bill
    i told them in hospital it was panic attack i thought
    they thought i was on drugs i think, as when i had to pee, and no one would take me to bathroom, i used the pan and nurse was PISSED off, as she said she was going to test my urine, i said, you never told me to wait to pee and i HAD to go (not dehydrated nurse idiot) i told her she can test that and pointed to the pan
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• i took daughter into regular ped appt. stated my concerns
    she was not yet 2 and a half, maybe two year and a month or two
    delay in language..DOCTOR=well, she is still babbling
    banging head into the floor...DOCTOR=well, kids are quirky
    huge tantrums and has big issue with clothing touching her...DOCTOR=well look at her, she is so beautiful

doctor dismissed all my concerns
    so i insisted on referal to
    birth to three...SPD, speech eval...Delayed, Phd autism eval.....autism
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• Doctor told my dad he had sinusitis for several years. Turns out it was a meningioma the size of a grapefruit.

Minor redness around a surgical site turned out to be group A Peptostreptococcus. God for if the surgeon was upstaged by the medical student who noticed it during my post OP check. I had fevers up to 104 that night.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 7:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• Me at 17. Was told my headache problem was teenager attention seeking (no)... then maybe depression (nuh uh)... then perhaps I was doing drugs (nope) or had an STD (wrong)... Was actually encephalitis.

My son. Wasn't walking, or talking. Hated to be held. Wouldn't make eye contact. The list goes on. Was told it was all normal at 18 months. He's come a long way, but we're still pushing to get appropriate help and diagnosis for him.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 7:11 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• Not really a diagnosis...just terrible care...but my wisdom teeth were killing me, and I made an appointment to have them pulled. The lady on the phone asked if they were all through the skin, and told me that they would need to take x-rays when I got there to make sure the roots weren't crooked or anything that would complicate it from being a simple extraction. They gave me a shitload of valium to take the day of my appointment, got in, had the x-ray, the tech came in and said my roots were perfectly straight and it should be very simple, put me on gas, the dentist came in, took me off gas, and told me "we don't do anything with wisdom teeth in this office" and sent me out with a bill!! Oh hell no! Not my fault you don't communicate that with your staff! I sure didn't wake up and just decide to go get drugged up and have some x-rays at the dentist office that morning!!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2013