Is there something I can take to increase milk supply?

bluekafer

Asked by bluekafer at 10:12 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• MOTHERS MILK TEA AND ALFELFA PILLS
    Anonymous

• Fenugreek tablets (you can get them at GNC), but you have to take about 3 pills 3 times a day for 1-3 days to get that to work.

Also, drink TOOONNSSS of water.

Good luck :)
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 10:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• fenugreek is one. go to www.kellymom.com and www.breastfeeding.com for good suggestions regarding this and others you can take. there ARE some conditions where you should not take these, such as out of control diabetes, etc.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:35 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• oatmeal and water =)
    Anonymous

• Ask your Dr. The Birth Control pills mine prescribed me supposedly increase milk supply. (I never ended up taking them)
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:04 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Oatmeal sounds wierd but it really works!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 11:14 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Before anything, why do you think you need to increase your supply? All of the things mentioned here (with the exception of BC pills, which more commonly DEcrease your supply) can help, but I'd like to make sure there is really a problem before you go through the trouble.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:26 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• Mothers Milk Tea, More Milk Plus supplement, Oatmeal, water and O'douls amber (dark) non-alcoholic beer almost doubled mine overnite.:)I know the feeling of being low and everyone keeps telling me that youre not low if you feed on demand but guess what, it does happen. Not everyone produces tons of milk as long as they BF.So do what you need to and good luck. I have also been pumping.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:32 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• There are many ways. Make sure you're drinking at least 64 ozs of water a day, eat a bowl of oatmeal, you can take Fenugreek 4 caps 3 times a day until you smell like maple syrup, mothers milk tea...there are more, but those are the most common remedies.

However, before you start trying anything (aside from the water and oatmeal...those are good for you regardless), it's important to figure out if you even have a supply issue. If you don't have a true supply issues, none of these things are going to work for you. Is your baby having 6-8 wet dipes a day, gaining weight, and making milestones (in a reasonable time frame...all babies are different)? If those are all answered "yes" my hypothesis is that there is no supply issue and you wouldn't benefit from the herbs and teas and what not.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:11 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• More Milk Plus liquid droplets absorbs faster and you'll see a difference in 24 hours. Pills take longer. Get it at Whole Foods.

Also, drink lots of water.

FYI... if you're pumping more, that's going to stop your production. Dr. verfied with me that the pumping sensation, while similar, isn't what stimulates you... it's the tongue rubbing against the nipple.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 2:17 AM on Feb. 19, 2009