Female spayed cat howling and marking territory

We have a 4 year old cat that was spayed at 6 months. She went in to heat once before the spay, but never had an issue with howling or marking territory. All of a sudden she's howling at night and peeing on my husbands clothes. Like she will dig through a pile of clean or dirty clothes to find something of his to pee on. I've also caught her peeing on a couch we don't really use, but he sits on it when he gets home from work to take off his boots. I plan to take her to the vet next week, but I was wondering if anyone has any insight? My husband's really frustrated :/

CJM_SHM

Asked by CJM_SHM at 11:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2013 in Pets

• It sounds like your hubby is around lots of cats or even dogs. Try and make sure he completely odorless, well except his scent. Try the odor neutralizer, which may not work cats do have a keen sense of smell. Or, and I am sure he will not like this, but try and have a change of clothing for him such as shorts, bathrobe, etc. I hope you hubby loves you and the cat!! LOL Let me know if this works please!
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:21 AM on Aug. 24, 2013

• Has there been a change in ther household? Liker a baby, another pet, moved?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• No :( we have a baby, but she's 17 months already. We had a puppy several months ago for about a month until he found a home. But it's definitely been long enough that I wouldn't think that was the issue. We did go on a 4 day vacation last month, but we've gone longer than that before......
    CJM_SHM

Comment by CJM_SHM (original poster) at 11:44 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• The only change I can think of regarding my husband is that he started working in the field again, going in to people's homes. It's been almost two years since he has really done that. So he probably smells like other pets. But she'll pee on his clean clothes too. And why the howling?
    CJM_SHM

Comment by CJM_SHM (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2013

• My cat has been spayed for about 4 years and she still acts like she's in heat sometimes! What's even weirder...my male cat who is neutered acts like a female cat in heat! lol. Does she get along with your husband? Does the litter box need cleaning or maybe its too far away and she's being lazy?
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 12:01 AM on Aug. 24, 2013

• If your husband has been in homes where there are other cats, your kitty may think there is something out there who wants to take over. So your kitty is marking what is her space and in sense telling the "other" cat to back off. Try using odor neutralizers before he comes in from work. I know it will be a pain in the ass, but after a few days if it doesn't work, then like you said go to the vet. As for the howling, could be an indicator of stress, or perhaps pain if she has a UTI. My cat like to howl because she was bored. But try and play with her before you go to bed, a exhausted cat is a quiet cat.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:04 AM on Aug. 24, 2013

• Litter box is cleaned and in the same spot it's always been. She's all over the house all day long. She has her routine and depending on the time of day, I know where to find her :) ill try having him neutralize the smell before he comes in. I'm sure he'd rather do that than find pee wherever he has been. The pee has a terrible smell, that's marking territory, right? Or could be from uti? She's not going an unusual amount either.....I don't think. Not like I see her every time she goes to the litter box.
    CJM_SHM

Comment by CJM_SHM (original poster) at 12:11 AM on Aug. 24, 2013

• Normally after a being spayed, the odor should be mostly gone. Is she marking/peeing just on hs clothes? Nowhere else?
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:40 AM on Aug. 24, 2013

• Just his clothes and twice I caught her on this couch. Like I said, we don't use the couch at all. But my husband usually comes in the door after work, sits on that couch, and removes his shoes. Otherwise it's really never used. If there's a pile of clothes on the floor, she's obviously peeing on mine too, but you can clearly tell she found something of his to pee on and mine were just next to it and got bombed by default, lol. Not funny.....but seriously, I wish I was awesome enough to just always have the laundry completely done :/
    CJM_SHM

Comment by CJM_SHM (original poster) at 12:46 AM on Aug. 24, 2013

• Lol he does not love the cat, but understands how much I love the cat! He use to get undressed before he came in, before he worked in the office ;) I don't think he'll mind it too much. Thanks! I hope this is it and not a medical issue!
    CJM_SHM

Comment by CJM_SHM (original poster) at 1:30 AM on Aug. 24, 2013