CPS and Reporting.

Ok so my other question made me think about something I've been having an inner battle with.

The neighbors(same ones with the sick kittens that I called animal protection on). Have two kids. A 6 1/2 yr old boy and a 2 1/2 yr old girl. They share a room. My issue is that the woman has told me that she strings a rope(or string not sure) from the children's door to a near by bathroom door to keep the kids locked in the room so they can't get up at night and wander around.

I do not know how often she does this or anything. The kids seem cared for other wise, though it seems that it is the father that does most of the care. He gets home around 2:30 and cooks and cleans. The mother is with them during the day and doesn't seem to do much but yell at them lol.

My issue is obviously with the door, but they also will put the kids to bed and then go across the court yard(in an apartment complex) and visit with neighbors.

The other night they were inside the neighbors home with their 6 yr old while I assume the girl was home sleeping!

I don't know if this would be enough to call CPS about or not?

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 1:36 AM on Aug. 24, 2013 in General Parenting

• YES. This is actually one of the things my MIL used to do to her kids. It's unsafe. If there was a fire, the kids can't get out! And if they're doing this, who knows what ELSE they're doing?

One of many reasons no one mourned when MIL died last year.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:48 AM on Aug. 24, 2013

• If she is telling you this, than you should file a report.

Emergencies can happen and They still need to get up to use the bathroom or if they feel sick they need to come out to their parents.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:55 AM on Aug. 24, 2013

• Yes I would say so.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:55 AM on Aug. 24, 2013

• My first thought would be, fire trap. My second thought would be, how horrible for a child to be locked in a room and unable to get the door open, perhaps calling for her parents and not having them answer because they're not in the house. I don't know what CPS would do about the situation, if anything, but I think I'd have to report it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:29 AM on Aug. 24, 2013

• Is she using a baby monitor to hear them if they get up? Is there a history of them escaping from the house or falling down the stairs in the middle of the night? Those things happened to one my sons. So from the about the ages of 2-4, we had a lock on the outside of his door, but could hear him over the monitor if he needed anything. Baby gates would not stop that kid, so it was the only way to keep him safe. I wouldn't leave him alone. Kids that age should never be left alone. I don't think they should leave their own yard once the kids are in bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Aug. 24, 2013

• The locking in their room thing aside--they are leaving two young children at home while they go somewhere else. That is unsafe and is neglect.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 10:22 AM on Aug. 24, 2013

• I am borderline about you calling, I assume she knows you are the one who called animal control? With this kind of case they are going to point blank ask her do you lock the kids in their room? Could you tell her that she could get in trouble for leaving them home alone, and locking them up? I would then call the next time you witness them leave the kids alone. She doesn't sound like all of her fruit loops are put away in the box, and I don't want her to do something to you or your kids (like make a false CPS call) when you are going through this custody thing.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:42 AM on Aug. 24, 2013

• I would make a call Annon and tell them the things she has told you leaving a two yr old at home alone is not safe either is leavin the 6yr old ....as far as locking them in their rm at night kinda sounds like a safety thing?? I would call and let cops and the proper authorities make the call as far as neglect or not!!
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 5:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• 2kids2dogs2cats: The custody issue is Tnm... thankfully all our custody issues are over(took nearly 3 years to get step-parent adoption through and finalized with my husband).

But you are right she is kind of off her rocker. But she hasn't figured out that it was me who called Scraps on her lol

Thanks guys!
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 5:33 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• It is neglect you should call them. Maybe they have been reported before.
    RhondaJ

Answer by RhondaJ at 6:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2013