Giving advice to an 18 y/o to NOT do drugs... adult content

Apparently it's NOT OK to tell someone NOT to do drugs. Never mind that it's illegal in several states, but could also cost them custody (assuming they're a mom if they're posting here) Not to mention the minimum wage job they are applying for. No, it's also not OK to tell them not to waste their money on such things, but to save for college instead.

If it was YOUR 18 y/o- what would you be telling them? Or am I just too old fashioned to think that I don't want my kids (grown or not) doing such things?!

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 2:53 PM on Aug. 24, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

• I have to be honest, I smoked like a chimney from age 18--22. But, I was not a parent. My only responsibilities were college & a part time job. And, I did go to class & work high more than a few times. Of course, the early 90's were different, only certain types of jobs required drug testing & I was smart enough to be a functioning pot head/weekend binge-drinker (ahh college). Anyway, I digress.

I think a lot of people forget what it's like to be young once they hit their 30's & beyond. No, I wouldn't openly condone my girls doing drugs but, I realize that it may happen. And, if it does, preferably before they have any real responsibilities.

I suspect that it wasn't you telling the OP to not do drugs that lead to your deletion, OP but, more your "tone".
    I also suspect that the admins will not like this question.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• i popped in the question earlier this morning but didnt have time to respond. im guessing your answer was removed because you asked her if she was smoking pot while asking the question? idk, you know how cm is. thats probably considered an attack.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:30 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• Um, lots of people gave her advice without insulting her spelling and calling her names. You have to follow the same rules as everyone else now and calling new members names is against the rules.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• So what?
    You were deleted.
    Do you really have to make a post about it EVERY time it happens?
    And- here is the company's take on this kind of post:

We ask members not to make complaints about CafeMom, members or posts.
    Even vague complaints are not allowed

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:34 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• Hypocrisy? When it was happening to other people you had no issue.
    Now that it is happening to you- you make a post and then say something along the lines of, " So glad I will be busy most the weekend. Not much has changed here".

People are getting deleted for violating TOS.
    Don't want to get deleted?
    Don't violate TOS.

And perhaps apologize for belittling the people who took the brunt of the deletions and banishments when the enforcement of the TOS began...
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• I've noticed quite a few baiting posts from you OP.
    You start it, step back and smile when the drama ensues.
    Not Cool!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 4:01 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• what response did CM give you for removing your answer? i'm sure it had nothing to do with you telling the OP not to do drugs.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• I am on the whole "Don't Do Drugs" bandwagon. My husband on the other hand is not. I think I am going to have to start beating him with soap in a sock every time he says "I know you are going to experiment...blah, blah, blah."!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:57 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• It would be one thing if the OP had stated that she did weed but cleaned up and is now applying for a job at is worried about the drug test and everyone jumped on her about doing weed. However, that was not the case. She had full intentions of trying to get this job and once she passed the drug test, continue to use drugs.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:04 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• It doesn't matter if she lives in a state where marijuana is legal or not. If she is trying to get a job where they have a zero tolerance policy for drugs, then she needs to find another job or quit smoking the weed.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:07 PM on Aug. 24, 2013