What alteratives to merrage are there?

My SO and I are comited to each other and we want to say it publicly. but we want to stay away from the lealge part of it.

4mygirls1980

Asked by 4mygirls1980 at 3:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2013 in Relationships

• You can have a general binding ceremony. That's what my middle daughter did. They had a public profession of their love and commitment to each other and then had a big reception afterward. It was just like a wedding but without the legality of it.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:18 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• Throw a party
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:22 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• Any kind of ceremony you want to have to show your love to each other. It can be as simple as a dinner party where you make some vows to each other, to a binding ceremony like Prissy stated. It is just the piece of paper you sign that makes it a legal marriage.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• merrage is overrated anyway.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:24 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• get enraged, no need to get merred
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:25 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• just be careful as in some states the guy can argue that you were married if you ever split up and try and take half of your stuff. My mother had to fight hard in court to prove that a sweat lodge ritual that she attended with my step father. He put forth that it was a native american marriage ceremony and she nearly lost.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• So you want the Merrage....to be a Mirage..... How very gauche of you!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• Marriage is a spiritual covenant between a man, a woman, and God. It's purpose is to display to the world the relationship between Christ and His Bride, the Church. It is a very solemn and binding pledge. It is much more than just a piece of paper that makes a sexual relationship legal. If you don't want to enter into a marriage, then you may call the relationship whatever you and your person want to call it. You can have a party and name it anything you want to name it. My husband and I have now been married almost 49 years, and it hasn't been easy. We married based on the above definition of marriage and we have struggled at times to keep the vows we made to each other before God. It bothers me that people don't see the need for marriage, but it bothers me more that they want to call every kind of relationship "just as good" or "the same thing as" or that's it just a piece of paper. So please call it something else!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:59 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• ^I disagree with the above. Marriage IS just a piece of paper. It is the legal recognition. The spiritual definition/recognition is holy matrimony, and the two are not the exact same. A relationship can be one or the other, or neither.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:01 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• You can have a wedding without the legal part of it. Marriage is a legal thing. It does have it's perks.

Answer by louise2 at 4:20 PM on Aug. 24, 2013