Suggestions for my 2 year old lil diva

My daughter will embe turning 3 in November. She is extremely cranky. She's really attached to me. & she is very emotional. Should I take her to the doctor for this? I have no idea what the problem is.. She takes naps & gets plenty of sleep. She isn't very active either. She would prefer to sit around and watch tv with her blanket. Any suggestions?

jennifer_oakley

Asked by jennifer_oakley at 6:27 PM on Aug. 24, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would turn the TV off for a month, see if she stops the crankiness after the initial outrage of not getting to watch tv. It's such a life killer for kids. I hate it when my kids watch tv. ZZZZombies.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:30 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• Get out ado things with her. Take walks, go to the park, zoo, museums... color, make kites and blanket forts, have tea parties. There are all sorts of things to do besides the tv. If she complains, oh well, you're the adult and get to make the tv or no tv decision.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:52 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• Yeah, she's too young to be sitting in front of the TV. She needs to run and play and get fresh air.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 6:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• Her Blankie is making her tired. Take it away & only give it to her at nap & bed time. Enroll her in a Toddler playtime class at the library. It's free & she will get to socialize & see how other kids act. Get a blow up pool & take her outside for a few hours. Get some sidewalk chalk & bubbles. How is her diet? She should be taking a multivitamin daily. She may be anemic & that will cause lethargy.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• There is nothing wrong with your little diva! that is who she is...

Answer by older at 7:16 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• I would also suggest less TV and more social interaction. Go to the park, the mall, set up a play date, etc. Sitting around watching TV is very isolating....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:19 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• Since she's human, she's an emotional being. If you can create some space for her to have her feelings without them triggering so much agitation or discomfort in you that you pressure her to stop expressing "negative" feelings, you may actually find the situation becoming more tolerable. This was my experience.
    I wasn't TRYING to pressure my kids; it was just the natural result of my discomfort & poor regulation. Even now, if I notice I am feeling REALLY triggered by whining (like, if they are sick & less resilient than usual, i.e. more fussy & easily upset) and I'm getting extremely agitated or irritated, I remind myself that their crankiness isn't something I need to "fix." This relieves the irritation so I can just be present & supportive of them, but if I don't remember then I feel irritated & edgy as soon as the whining starts, desperate to "solve" the issue so the crying stops, an anxious response that escalates things.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:23 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• Anyway, the more space you can create for her "negative" reactions to things, the more relief she'll experience. Relief & resolution of those feelings. When we respond with resistance (irritability, trying to "fix" things, trying to distract them or doing lots of explaining and reasoning with them, which are efforts to talk them OUT of their feelings!) we trigger counter-resistance in them. It's like they are pushing back & saying their feelings ARE valid, not wrong. This keeps them stuck in HAVING the feeling, rather than letting them go THROUGH it and move on to something else.

Generally, if we're not making space for feelings (if we're struggling against them or trying to solve/fix them or make them go away, trying to avoid the experience) it's because we have trouble tolerating them ourselves. We just don't feel Okay.
    So bringing attention to your own tension & agitation can help to shift some of this.

It does pay off!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• I really have noticed a relationship between too much TV watching and excessive crankiness in both my five-year-old and my teenage stepson.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:42 PM on Aug. 24, 2013