What to do when bring home newbron to house full of cats and dogs?

4 dogs two little two big. 9 cats inside outside cats we live out in the country she'll around 2 mostly.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:47 PM on Aug. 24, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, I think I'd rethink the decision to have so many animals in the first place... at least in the house? If you live out in the country, do they sleep in a garage or barn or something? Are they allowed to run around on the property?

If you keep them all in the house and you bring home a baby, of course you have to be cautious of how the animals will react with a new baby in the home. I know my dog does not like the sound of a baby crying for some reason... he'll get all nervous and upset. I don't even trust him 100% around the grandchildren and they are older.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:50 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• Isn't having that many animals against the law?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:55 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• One thing that may help is shortly after your baby is born but before coming home, have your SO bring home a blanket or similar article that has the baby's scent on it. Let the animals smell that to help them get adjusted to the new smell.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 7:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• I would leave them outside.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:58 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• You need to make sure they are all up to date on shots, also babies are much more likely to be allergic to cats, make sure your house is uber clean and you will need to dust and vacuum everyday .
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 8:31 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• There are mesh tents you can get to put over the crib if you are worried about he cats sleeping in it. The tents allow the air in but keep the critters out.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:05 PM on Aug. 24, 2013

• I had two cats when I brought my son home. They were curious about him and would come running to see if he was ok when he started crying. They did try and sleep in crib/craddle, but would always sleep at his feet away from his head if they did but 90% of the time they just wanted to be in the craddle without him lol

The dogs I would be more worried about as they would be more likely to bite then a cat would. Just be mindful and watch when they are around. I wouldn't leave them alone with the child. But I still don't leave my son alone with dogs(family members have dogs I don't) and he is 6 now.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:33 AM on Aug. 25, 2013