can i use gentle vapors for my 11 month old baby?????is bathing my baby while hes sick bad for him????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Feb. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, you can use Gentle Vapors.
    No, bathing him is not bad for him. You don't want him to get cold and start to shiver but a bath may help soothe him, calm him down, and even open his airways up a little - all good things.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:21 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• You can always hop in the shower with him, too :) Steam the bathroom up nice and hot before you get in with him.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:30 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• My 6 m/o just got over being sick all last week. I gave her bath in the morning to clear up all her nite congestion with Vapor bath and one at nite to help her sleep good with vapor bath also. during the day I would rub Vicks baby rub on the feet and chest and put pjs on. I also used and it really helped the Triaminic baby vapor fan. You put a cherry vapor thing in it and turn it on and it blows the vapors over them. and tylenol for fever. All of these things really helped. Oh and when I took a shower I put her in the bathroom with her bouncy seat and let the steam fill up the room and when I got out I would turn it all the way to hot and it was like a sauna for about 10 minutes and she would breathe it and it helped.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:46 PM on Feb. 18, 2009

• bathing him is great.. the steam from the warm water will help loosen any congestion ...we also go our son a cool mist humidifier.. works wonders
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:44 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/01/13/vicks.html

Pediatricians don't recommend Vicks as of last month.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 2:20 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Parents should not apply Vicks VapoRub, the salve used to relieve symptoms of cough and congestion, to children under the age of two, doctors warn.

Dr. Bruce Rubin, the lead author of a study on the ointment, from the department of pediatrics at Wake Forest University School of Medicine, in Winston Salem, N.C., and his colleagues became interested in the effects of Vicks VapoRub on young children when they cared for an 18-month-old girl who developed severe respiratory distress after the salve was put directly under her nose.

Procter & Gamble's product label warns it is not indicated for children under two. But Rubin said some parents may still choose to use it for a sick child, usually by rubbing the salve on the feet or chest.

"The ingredients in Vicks can be irritants, causing the body to produce more mucus to protect the airway," said Rubin.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 2:21 AM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I use vapor bath which is wonderful !!!! I also used vicks baby rub which also helped alot, but our babies dr said to put the rub on the collar of her sleeper instead of directly on the skin. That way she is still getting the benefits of the rub w/o the possibility of it irritating the skin.
    sjlawrence356

Answer by sjlawrence356 at 11:49 AM on Feb. 19, 2009