WTF is wrong here? A 5 yr old student gets suspended for 10 day for "terroristic threats" with her "Hello Kitty Bubble gun" remark.....

And yet another 5 yr old kindergartener actually brings a REAL GUN to school, it goes off in his backpack while he was in the cafeteria.

........"No charges have been filed against a Tennessee kindergartner or his mother after a gun discharged inside the child's backpack in a school cafeteria, but the shooting has led to metal-detecting wands being provided to the district's elementary schools, officials said Friday.

Memphis police said the 5-year-old and his mother were released from custody late Thursday, hours after the gun went off as students were waiting for the opening bell in the Westside Elementary School cafeteria.

No one was hurt, and school security officers quickly took control of the backpack. Officials have not released details, such as how the child was holding the backpack or in which direction the bullet went.

Investigators determined the child obtained the gun from a closet at home and placed it in the backpack, police spokeswoman Karen Rudolph said Friday. The information was presented to the district attorney general's office, which decided not to file charges at this time, she said.

Rudolph said later Friday that the district attorney's office is still investigating the matter.

Police are not releasing the identity of the child and mother. The child could be suspended or expelled under Shelby County Schools policy.

Could be suspended?? I would imagine that should have been automatic. The little girl got a automatic 10 day suspension, that very day!!! Then that went down to 2 days, and has  "threat to harm others" on her record. And she is only 5. Isn't stuff like that permanent? 

I guess I do not understand this at all... If you have plastic guns, chew a pop tart into what looks like a gun,  have your name look like the gun gesture when you use sign language, and a teacher says you can';t do that. And get suspended for 10 or so days and have a permanent mark on your scholastic record.

But bring a REAL gun to school and it goes off, well thats ok. And you 'could be' suspended, and no charges will be filed on the complete negligence on the mom's part. 

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:11 AM on Aug. 25, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Where was the hello kitty incident?

I agree it is insane. I can only imagine the trouble that could be awaiting my son at school..lol He is very much a boy and loves to play cops and robbers.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:20 AM on Aug. 25, 2013

• "Where was the hello kitty incident? "tntmom

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/21/us/pennsylvania-girl-suspended

Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 2:00 AM on Aug. 25, 2013

• I'm betting they will probably suspend him & that the parents will also face some charges for not having it locked up properly. Trust me, enough parents will raise a stink about that & something will happen. They can't predict the outcome, only outline some possibilities. Thank God no one was hurt.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:14 AM on Aug. 25, 2013

• Yeah, that's the Mt Carmel area for you. Is there an eye rolling sweet pea?

But I do think it's ridiculous for a 5 year old to get suspended for 5 year old behavior. It's a freaking bubble gun for crying out loud!
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 10:26 AM on Aug. 25, 2013

• There are a few things that would actually pressure the school to not suspend a child that violated the rules. Just think about how kids have to agree to abide by the bullying policy at school, but when someone clearly violates it the school does nothing to enforce those policies. When they do actually enforce the policies they do so because of bad press and public pressure.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:17 AM on Aug. 25, 2013

• I agree with you. I assume that different locations (different official) make the the decisions which are not the same everywhere.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• I'm surprised they aren't charging the mother with something. I think she should be charged with negligence, or endangering a child, for leaving a loaded gun in a closet where her kid could get it and put it in his backpack for school without her knowing.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:51 PM on Aug. 26, 2013