Weekend trip to Atlanta, GA

My husband and I along with his sister and her husband are thinking about taking a weekend trip to Atlanta. We only live 1 1/2 hours away, so we have been to some of the tourist things already. Right now on our list of what we want to do is go to the Shakespeare Tavern and eat at Der Biergarten. That is the only thing that we have planned so far. My husband prefers to not do touristy things (GA Aquarium, CNN center, etc). Any ideas? We are staying two nights and I have a feeling that if my sister-in-law and I don't plan something then we will be in the hotel room the entire weekend other than to do the two things on our list.

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 8:32 AM on Aug. 25, 2013 in Travel

• oh yeah, i guess the aquarium is really not the same without children. well if you wanted to take a little day trip, Helen GA is only an hour and a half from ATL and it's beautiful up there. waterfalls, shopping, and tubing if you guys are adventurous lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:50 AM on Aug. 25, 2013

• Gave you a bump, since I've only driven THROUGH Atlanta on my way to Florida. lol :p (BTW- won't do that drive again!) Hope you have lots of fun. Getting away w/out the children & staying in the hotel room might not be such a bad idea! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:48 AM on Aug. 25, 2013

• I have only bee to the airport, and I would swear my taxi driver was Jeff Foxworthy
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:37 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• hey, the GA aquarium is actually REALLY cool. i went once when we lived in Hinesville, granted it was crammed with people though. and the Coca Cola factory is also pretty cool. what about underground ATL?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:38 AM on Aug. 25, 2013

• I do love the GA Aquarium, however, we will be sans children and crowds of people are not my husband's favorite thing. We are a bit burned out on Underground Atlanta. 

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 8:43 AM on Aug. 25, 2013

• We love Helen! I think I may try to convince them to stay in Helen and then just go to Atlanta for one evening.

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 9:05 AM on Aug. 25, 2013

• You can do a Twilight tour of Oakland cementary. There is also several museums that you could visit.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:56 AM on Aug. 25, 2013

• My favorite thing is the Stone Mountain laser show, and the coca cola museum. I also loved the Atlanta cyclorama, but I'm a history buff!

Answer by missanc at 2:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2013