Any army moms on cafemom?

Ugh I was just ordered us to private out social media before deployment. Since when they started doing this? I also thought you get more than 2 weeks at home after your 2 weeks pre deployment training part one before the 45 day training?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Aug. 25, 2013 in Military

• For the social media, they do that because of OPSEC, which protects the soldier and his unit. You are not guaranteed any certain amount of time home before a deployment. They can also change the deployment date a a moment's notice.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:31 AM on Aug. 25, 2013

• I deploy in October still... Leave In a week for my real training
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:35 AM on Aug. 25, 2013

•  

Again, that can change at any time. There were two instances where this happened to my husband. He was on call to report at a moment's notice to Liberia. He got called in and was boarding the plane when the orders got cancelled. For his first tour to Iraq, he wasn't suppose to leave until the end of February. He got a call on February 8th that they were leaving the next day and to report in 5 hours.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:38 AM on Aug. 25, 2013

• I don't start until I finish training but I thought you stayed at home a while after the 2 weeks AT
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Aug. 25, 2013

• My brother's unit got screwed over many times because of someone blabbing something on Facebook. They deployed early, a few people nearly got their r&r taken away (they ended up changing dates but got no say in it), they didn't come home when they were supposed to. All because of Facebook and opsec. He also went from summer camp straight to training- no 2 week training, no 45 day training, just camp to training. He came home for 2 days to finish packing what mom started and finish up paperwork (basically sign everything dad prepared) and he was gone, though we didn't know when he actually left, just got a call shortly after he arrived at his overseas destination safely.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 10:49 AM on Aug. 25, 2013

• I'm not even gone lie to you...there are several people blabbing so sadly
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Aug. 25, 2013

• I'm curious what does "private out social media" mean?
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 11:39 AM on Aug. 25, 2013

• The whole unit has to make their Facebook, and other media private before deploying
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Aug. 25, 2013

• Ohh okay. So what's the big deal? Shouldn't it be set to private to begin with? There are scary crazy stalkers and hackers that can get your info or info on your kids.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 11:46 AM on Aug. 25, 2013

• I never known this to be commanded but they told us to set our media to private because of the rules. People overseas can view our profiles and get information when it's public
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2013