When I was doing my makeup today SO gave our 9 month old Orange Juice and she got a rash on her face....

Just to clarify when I found out I was not happy. I told him it's citrus and it's hard on a baby's tummy. She has never had juice before. I asked him if he diluted it with water and he said no. Afterwards she got a red rash on one cheek that lasted maybe half an hour. No other symptoms and no difficulty breathing. Do you think it was a reaction to the citrus? It was just a couple sips.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 6:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hmmmmmm. I recall my dd having a similar reaction to tomatoes around that age. I called the dr in a panic. He asked if she had it on her skin, and of course at tht age they always do. Lol. He said it was the acid causing inflammation. It went away.

But then again....it could be! Has she been introduced to oranges yet? My dd all of a sudden a month ago had another similar reaction to fresh pineapple.
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 6:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• Not a doctor here. But I would think if she was allergic to something in the juice. The rash would hast longer then a half hour. I would think it would have given the kids diarrhea.

Answer by louise2 at 6:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• I have not given her any citric acid foods. My first DD had a horrid puking reaction to pineapple juice when I drank it while she was nursing.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• I agree with the other ladies: if the rash has gone away, I would say she is fine. Just make sure that he checks with you before giving her anything again.

I couldn't have anything with citrus in it until I was a teenager. Even now my system can't handle fresh pineapple and I don't tolerate orange juice with pulp in it very well. Strange, I know.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 6:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• It could just be from the citric touching her sensitive skin. If it was me, I'd hold off introducing it to her again any time soon. And when you do keep a food journal for the week prior.

Then again, I had a bad fear of food allergies when my dd was being introduced to new things. Bad Fear! We live over an hour from a hospital and 35 miles from the nearest ambulance. As a first time mom I was a paranoid freak! Hence why I joined this site. Lol!
    PandaGwen

Answer by PandaGwen at 7:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• Men..... can't be trusted. SMH
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• It was just a skin reaction. My Son used to get that from mustard. pickles & some salad dressings when he was a baby. Probably from the acidity in the vinegar. He is very fair skinned.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• We are all very fair skinned
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• I am going to say something that contradicts everyone and might make you freak, so don't.

She could very well have had an allergic reaction. My daughter Laura is allergic to a lot of things, and sometimes the only reaction she gets, if she gets a hold of something, is a flare up on her face that doesn't last long.

Tell SO no more OJ, or any citric, until at least 2 years old! That's when most doctors will say its OK any way (or used to 6+ yrs ago).
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:39 AM on Aug. 26, 2013

• Is she okay this morning?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:10 PM on Aug. 26, 2013