Can I get a clerical positon with retail experience? have you?

So when I was in high school I went to a special academy graduated and completed a internship working in a office. since then I've been working retail and I've hated it from the beginning. I swore I would go back to school but I had my first daughter and decided to put my focus on her. I went back to work three years later when I was pregnant with my second child for financial reasons I was forced to work in retail again and here I am thee years later in retail. I'm struggling I have no time for school I work at Walmart making $8.40 an hour I'm Hadley getting 20 hours a week. This is the third job Ive applied to this year in hopes of better hours and I get stuck in the 20 hour mark. Ive been applying for clerical work most positions you have to be bilingual or have one or two years of clerical experiences or you must know Quick Books or Excel . I do have a year of experience and a tun of customer service experience.Its getting to the point where I'm not able to pay my bills and I cant afford necessary things for myself and my children. If you have any advice I would love to take it any In!!!!!! I need all the help I can get!!!!!!!!!!! thank you for taking the time to read my question

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Aug. 25, 2013 in Money & Work

• You can, but it will need to be entry level and you'll be fighting 200 other people for the job. There is Excel training on line (I can't remember the site but it was free, or close to it) so Google that. Excel and Word are really key knowledge areas. You can also train up on PowerPoint and Publisher for an additional edge.

If I were you I'd see what your local job bank offers (state operated) for training. Also, you might want to look at employment agencies for temp positions that will give you some experience.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• Probably not and here is why. For one, your spelling. If you can't spell simple words like hardly and ton, then they are not going to hire you to do clerical work. Two, as you stated above, many require someone who is bilingual and/or knows Quick Books and Excel. Third, companies have a hiring advantage right now with the way the economy is. College graduates are willing to work at lower paying, entry level jobs that were designed for people right out of high school or with an associate's degree. My advice, work the 20 hours at Wal-Mart, enroll in school and use your financial aid to assist you with tuition and living expenses. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• Have you checked to see if there are clerical jobs at Walmart you can apply for? Since you work for them already it may give you a toe in the door and that would give you more experience. A lot of the technology has changed over the years and business machines are no different. You may need a refresher course. I would suggest you bone up your typing/ keyboarding skills and you computer skills. Some libraries will teach you to use computers for free but they ar relatively basic classes.
    I would also suggest you go to the library and get a book on making an effective resume. Write yours up and submit to one of the online sites or to individual companies.
    Yes it can be done.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• GCF.org offers free excel online, not sure what else but it would be worth a look. I think applying for clerical positions within Walmart us a great idea! Once you get a better position, consider taking some night classes in computer skills, business, etc. to work towards an even better future.

Answer by missanc at 10:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• Oh - and temp agencies are great places to gain new skills and many of them will help you with your résumé as well.

Answer by missanc at 10:06 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• A fair number of people end up hiring on after starting at places through temp agencies.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2013