Tubal ligation question

I am considering having a tubal ligation. My husband and I are absolutely sure that we are done having babies. The plan was always that I would have the babies and he would have the vasectomy when we were done. However our insurance won't cover the procedure for my husband but they will cover my having a tubal ligation (what kind of crap is that right?). So I am wondering what kind of good or bad experiences anyone has had with the tubal ligation. How effective is it? We are ABSOLUTELY SURE we are done having babies and I don't want any unexpected surprises.

AshleyBishop06

Asked by AshleyBishop06 at 10:28 PM on Aug. 25, 2013 in Health

• I personally would pay out of pocket and have your husband get the vasectomy!! They have a quicker recovery time and have less risk. But if you decide to get the tubal I would get them cut and burned there is very little chance of getting and eptopic pregnancy or it reversing its self.... But that's jmo my sister had her tubes tied (3 yrs ago) and she has no problems but has considered goin on birth control pills to control her periods..
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 11:21 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• OP, I've heard others have had similar symptoms to what I've gone thru. If I had this site before I had mine done, I would have gone with the IUD.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 11:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• My SIL got pregnant 5 years after her tubal. Have them burn and tie the tubes.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 10:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• I'm surprised they won't cover it. It's usually cheaper and easier for the man to get a vasectomy than it is for the women to get her tubes tied.

I did not have it done, but my sister did. She has not had any problems. The down side is that there is a risk to ectopic pregnanies

I found this:

Pregnancy happens to about 5 out of 1,000 women after 1 year. After a total of 5 years following tubal ligation, about 13 out of 1,000 women will have become pregnant
    and
    If a tubal ligation or implant fails and you become pregnant, you have an increased risk of having an ectopic pregnancy. Ectopic pregnancies can occur years after the tubal ligation and are most likely 3 or more years after the procedure.3 For more information, see the topic Ectopic Pregnancy.
    ChasingBridges

Answer by ChasingBridges at 10:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• We had the same insurance issue. I had mine done over 6 years ago and everything's been fine since.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 10:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• There is also the ensure procedure which is like a TL without having a surgery where they need to poke hikes in you. They insert coils (like a spring) into the tubes and scar tissue grows around them eventually blocking /plugging the tube. I would be more likely to do that than to get a traditional TL. It does take a few months for the scar tissue to plug things up though.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• It shouldn't you two are finished. Are you finished? If you are going to do it. Something happen to your DH/SO. Death , Divorce.Would you want more kids. Truthfully this should be a individual thing. I had mine done 2 years after I had my youngest DD. I was single at the time. got mine cut and burned. I was done with having kids.

Answer by louise2 at 10:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• Look into other, less permanent, options. What happens if he dies or if the 2 of you get divorced?

I had my tubes tied 11 yrs ago. I was sure we would be together forever and we were done. He has since left me and now I would really like to give my new SO a baby.

The procedure itself went well and the recovery wasn't bad. My period used to be every 28 days and last only 4 days with mild cramps. Since I had my tubes tied, I can not track my periods at all, they last anywhere from 5 to 8 days, sometimes the cramps are horrible, and my mood swings are WAY worse. Plus every once in awhile the site where the stitches were itches like crazy. 10+ yrs later is odd for that, I think.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 10:40 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• I had mine cut and cauterized 3 years ago after my 5th child, 2nd csection. No problems but I've heard horror stories.

Answer by missanc at 10:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• My boyfriend looked into the out-of-pocket cost of a vasectomy fairly recently, and it would be about five or six hundred dollars. Depending on your insurance deductible or how much of the bill you have to pay, it may be cheaper to just go ahead and have your husband get the procedure done. That would still leave you looking for an option in the unfortunate event that something happened to your husband or your relationship, but it would protect the two of you in the meantime.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:42 AM on Aug. 26, 2013