DS not sleeping. what should I do?

DS's regular bedtime is 8pm. He's 3. Latest 9pm. We do go out on weekends... dinner, hanging out with friends, etc. When he's with us he's up naturally hence sleeps late.
Today he's exhausted. We went to a friend's daughter's birthday party which was at 11-12pm in the afternoon. He swam and played there like crazy. We left the party at 4-4:30pm. From there we went to get late lunch. He slept in the car so we decided to get food from drive though so he could sleep for an hour and not get disturbed when we got out. Got a call from another friend who also happens to have kids our son's age. We decided to go there instead as her husband was recently in a really bad accident and we had to see him..like with a get well soon card and everything. He played with the kids there some more. when he started getting cranky we left. It was around 6pm. Got home at 7pm. Hurriedly fed him dinner, bathed him, gave him warm milk and put him in bed. He was pretty tired, i thought he would just crash. Apparently it was the opposite. It's 11pm here and he's still up :(
He exhausted. I tried singing to him. reading him stories and just patting him and rocking him back and fourth like you do to an infant. He's just not sleeping. Oh and another twist. We weaned him off paci like about 3-4 months ago. We just poked tons of holes in that thing that he can't suck it anymore. So he likes holding it in his hand when he sleeps. He stopped taking it in his mouth. Just hold it. Today he keeps giving it to me and asks me to "clean it and fix it please" .. as we would tell him in the past that it's broken and yucky.
So what should i do? Should i just bring him down in the living room with us, sit with him in his room (btw i tried that too for 30-40 mins) or let him sit in his bed and rock back and fourth (he does that when he's really tired. his pedi says it's normal)? I went in his room like a 100 times and laid him down. that's not working either. any advice?

cookie269

Asked by cookie269 at 10:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Let him be, maybe put on some soft music. He'll drift off. I wouldn't worry too much about varying the schedule a little; life happens. What probably did him in was that hour nap fairly late in the day.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• I would leave him alone in his room, he'll eventually drop off. A more regular schedule would make it easier for him to go to sleep.

Answer by missanc at 11:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• i know :( it was a mistake messing up his schedule. never again messing with the system! :-s
    cookie269

Comment by cookie269 (original poster) at 11:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• It sounds like you guys maybe did a lil too much running around today... I would just leave him in his rm he will fall asleep very soon .... I would have a set schedule that you follow every day to the best of ur ablilty ..I've noticed with my oldest the only way to get her in bed at a decent hour is if I have a set schedule and she have no stimulation after 7 pm!!! No tv no rough housing playing with friends exc ... Her doc said reading books playing with puzzles that sort of thing . Mayb try that also this advise came from her sleep specialist! Dd has a mild form of sleep desperbances with prolonged periods of wakefulness
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 11:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• I would just hold the kid til he fell asleep.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• I'd let him stay with you/

Answer by gdiamante at 12:19 AM on Aug. 26, 2013

• Leave him I the room by himself no nightlights no tv close the door total quietness he'll go to sleep
    Jordan1800

Answer by Jordan1800 at 12:48 AM on Aug. 26, 2013