Good birth control other than the pill?

I have always been told the pill is the safest form of birth control, but they give me side effects that force me to get off them 2-3 weeks later. I tried different brands but my body doesn't accept them. I wanted to know if anyone has experience in other forms of birth control and what other safe methods are there. I was thinking about the IUD but a coworker told me she got some infection and not to get it. Any advice and information is appreciated. Thank you.

Nicollea

Asked by Nicollea at 11:17 PM on Aug. 25, 2013 in Relationships

• If birth control pills give you problems, that likely rules out all combination hormonal birth controls. That would mean the Patch and Nuva Ring as well as the pill.

If you've tried progesterone only pills with the same result, then it rules out Depo Provera and Mirena too.

Nonhormonal methods include Paragard IUD, condoms and diaphragms. If you've given birth, then the Sponge is not an option for you because of the permanent changes made by childbirth. (If you haven't birthed vaginally, though, then it's worth discussing with your doc.)

Natural Family Planning uses charting of Basal Body Temperature and tracking of other fertility signs. Sex is avoided during fertile times. Be warned: That's when you're most likely to WANT sex. Pick up a copy of "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Wechsler to learn more or check out tcoyf.com.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• Natural Family Planning
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• my daughter uses the Nuva Ring- she hated the pill
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• I have had the Mirena for a year, no problems with it. I much prefer it to the pills that I took for 10years.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:22 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• I've only used depo, I know there are people who hate(d) it but I loved it.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 11:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• I had the mirena for three ur and loved it!! I hated every pill I tired. I didn't have any issues wit this iud it almost completely stopped my periods , controlled my weight gain, and my pms! I highly recommend it
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 11:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2013

• Can you take the progesterone only pills? The estrogen birth control pill gives me horrible side effects, but I took the mini pill (progesterone only) successfully for a few years.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:27 AM on Aug. 26, 2013

• I had the Norplant in mr arm for about 5 years it was great
    Jordan1800

Answer by Jordan1800 at 1:22 AM on Aug. 26, 2013

• My oldest was on the pill, then the patch and now the nuva ring. The ring has been the one that she has not had any side effects with.
    GarysWife1991

Answer by GarysWife1991 at 1:38 AM on Aug. 26, 2013

• I used a diaphragm for years and had no problems.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:44 AM on Aug. 26, 2013