Your thoughts on Mirena (piggyback question)

Looking for a permanent birth control option and am having my fears of getting a tubal ligation done. What experiences have you had with Mirena? I know its not permanent but I am sick of the side effects from the pill and our insurance only covers female sterilization and birth constrol methods so that is why I am looking into these methods.

AshleyBishop06

Asked by AshleyBishop06 at 12:18 AM on Aug. 26, 2013 in Health

• If you had side effects with pills, then Mirena is not for you.

Check with Planned Parenthood. You might be able to get a vasectomy done through them.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:57 AM on Aug. 26, 2013

• I have heard horror stories in this site. Not very many successful ones, however, if things are going great, you don't complain. It's when something goes wrong you tell the world about it. Most women won't log on and say "My Mirena feels great today! How's yours?"
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:11 AM on Aug. 26, 2013

• I had it for almost 5 years and liked it. No issues.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:20 AM on Aug. 26, 2013

• It sucks and the side effects suck too. I know... really eloquently put, but if the shoe fits and all...

I bled for 4 months straight, had severe mood swings, gained 35lbs a year after getting it, got horribly painful acne and so on. I would not recommend it to anyone. My niece had one that perforated her uterus requiring surgery to get it out.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:21 AM on Aug. 26, 2013

• Ashley, are the side effects due to the combination birth control pill only, or do you get them with the minipill? If the latter, Mierana is not for you and Paragard will be a better choice.

Even better than that...make hubby get snipped.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:21 AM on Aug. 26, 2013

• Sil got pregnant with mirena. She's starting to question if it had anything to do with what's wrong with her baby (genetic testing came back clear with no explanation for niece's health issues, sil is in the medical field and has questioned docs all over the country about it all).
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 12:34 AM on Aug. 26, 2013

• Mirena possible side effects  http://www.rxlist.com/mirena-side-effects-drug-center.htm  I understand the lawsuit's are already out there no matter what no easy option

by2013

Answer by by2013 at 12:51 AM on Aug. 26, 2013

• I hated hormones of any kind and had read some horror stories from Mirena users. Some people have no problems with them, while others have severe symptoms. I guess the only way to know for sure is to try it yourself. I decided to get the Paragard (copper IUD) instead, mostly because it doesn't have hormones and it lasts longer than Mirena. It does come with its set of cons though. It can make your period heavier than normal and can make your PMS symptoms worse, like stronger cramps and such. I think after I get this thing out I will make an appt for DH to get snipped. I've had mine for 5 years and haven't had a problem. My periods went back to a normal flow after about 7-8 months (it was pretty heavy those first few months). Otherwise, I love not having to think about it.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:52 AM on Aug. 26, 2013

• I think it is horrible and should be taken off the market :(. What about the depo shot?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:36 AM on Aug. 26, 2013

• I have had it for a year this month and have not had any issues at all. The only reason I know I am having a period is because I still brak out like I always have at that time of the month.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:22 AM on Aug. 26, 2013