Anyone else's kids REALLY nervous for school?

My son is starting 1st grade in 2 days and he is SO nervous. Especially because he'll be going full day this year. He's been very clingy, and follows me around like a puppy dog too. I have a feeling he will freak out when I drop him off. Last year he didn't cry the first day, but the 2nd day he freaked and the teachers had to pry him off my leg. I'm praying that won't happen again this year :( What can I do to make him feel more comfortable?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Aug. 26, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No advice, my kids like school.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 12:34 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• Hopefully he has friends in his class & he will be happy to see them when he arrives. Our school is doing an open house the day before school starts to help ease some of the nerves. If that's not possible, then just hugs & reassurances. Remind him about how well he did last year & how much smarter he became after just 1 year of school. Sometimes a handwritten note in his lunch will help get him thru the day. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• Can you take the little guy to meethis teacher and see his classroom, maybe have a look at the playground? Do you know if any of his friends from last year will be in his class to greet him?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:47 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• Ballad- We met his teacher today and put his supplies in his desk. I think that helped a little.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• In my Sons Kindergarten Class last year, he was friends with the sweetest little girl who cried daily. He sat next to her & tried to console her every day & would come home & say "she wants her Mama!" so what the Mom did was send a photo to school with her of her whole family & she taped it to the top of her supply box so she could see them all day & it really helped a lot. Hugs because I know how hard it is to see them upset & you feel helpless :(

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• no, thankfully he is excited, but he went to full day kindergarten. I am more nervous than he is thinking about the homework!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:02 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• School always brings tons of apprehension for little ones. He may take a few days to really get used to being there and the different routine, but in the long run he will have fun. It will pass with time.
    I like Ballad's advice.
    Assure him that his teacher is very nice and she will do her best to look out for him and help him have a good time.
    AubreyRed

Answer by AubreyRed at 7:52 PM on Aug. 27, 2013