Unsettling

My condo building is being painted today. So there are a couple of guys running around on the roof, and it's kind of creepy for me and very unsettling for my dog. It's pretty weird, not the pitter patter of little feet but the stomp, clomp, stomp of heavy boots overhead. Is there anything I can do to keep poor Ballad from barking and pacing?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2013 in Pets

• act as calm and confident about it as you can. If you act nervous, or try to "reassure" her, that gives her reason to be concerned. Go about and do normal household routine as if nothing is going on.

If she is crate trained, putting her in the crate for the day may also help. For many dogs, the crate is a safe, secure place.
    nekkiddoglady

Answer by nekkiddoglady at 1:57 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• Take her for a walk? Picnic at the park? Turn up TV or radio to drown out the noise on the roof? Or just give her time to adjust to it. When we had the new roof put on a few years ago, our dogs eventually got used to all the racket they were making. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:56 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• Lots of treats! *wink*

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• give her lots of love, and turn on animal planet, and loud, LOL!
    BTW, I am supposed to be in YOUR town at the moment, went to the airport at 4 AM this morning, and guess what NO flight, so I am going straight to AZ in the morning, hope my dimwitted co-worker can teach them how to use office equipment, LOL!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• PS, that teaches them not to fly me in the night before, as I have begged for the past year, I bet a dollar she says something that pisses them off!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:17 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• when we had the shingles replaced on our roof it made the whole house shake!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:59 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• I don't dare poke my nose out the door because of the paint smell, which could easily trigger a migraine for me, and hopefully this won't take long enough for any of us to get used to it. I'll try the radio, I guess.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2013