Jury duty weirdness

I got a notice today which is ESPECIALLY odd since I am not a registered voter. Also the courthouse I'm to serve at is 107 miles one way.

I have a call in to someone there, no reply yet.... I'd rather like to participate. (Weird fun!) but concerned it's a mistake.... also why so far? And any idea how long the mileage reimbursement takes?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2013 in Home & Garden

• If you have a driver's license you're up for jury duty. I had to serve way up north. One hour each way. You don't get a mileage reimbursement (or you didn't when I went) Just a daily stipend
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 2:26 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• In my state you can only serve in the county youre a resident of.
    Is it the same where youre at?
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:29 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• In my old state(just moved) you could serve that far away but it was rural. They also paid a travel fee but the cases were always settled before our jury date came up so I have no idea how long reimbursement took.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:09 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• Is it for district court? My mom had district duty some years back, over an hour away and 2 or 3 counties away. It was 1 week a month for 18 months.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 3:12 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• drivers license = that's the WEIRDEST PART. I haven't had one since I lost my vision in '04 ! I cannot drive due to visual disabilities from meds given to me during an emergency c-section when kiddo #1 was born. Obviously I'd made a terrible juror bu
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• Do you have a state ID?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:16 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• In my state you only have to have a valid state ID or DL to be on jury duty, they will call you back, and there should be a website that you can have your doctor sumbit a letter of hardship, so they don't summon you again.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• Each county has there on way of deciding on the pool of people for jury duty. Sometimes it is if you have property, other times it is a drivers license, and some times being a registered voter. You will likely get a set amount for each day that you are there. For me it was $40 a day. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:32 PM on Aug. 27, 2013