When buying a home, how do you search the property value??

We are looking into purchasing a home for the first time. My question is, when someone says they are selling it for $300,000 as an example, how does one know the property value of that home to make sure we're not being ripped off? Is there a website? I checked zillow.com, but it says its an estimated value. So, do we go with that, or is there a better website that tells you? How does one know? Sorry, this is my first time going through this, and don't want to get ripped off.

Thank you so much ladies.

WifeyandMom71

Asked by WifeyandMom71 at 2:45 PM on Aug. 26, 2013 in Just for Fun

• If you are working with a realtor it is their job to show you some listing sheets of homes that have recently sold in your area that are comparable. Ask to see comps for your area. Also go to realtor.com and look at what homes in your area are selling for. Plug in the same number of bedrooms, baths, etc that you have. GL
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:47 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• Zillow
    I even use this to check out neighborhoods when I get called by strangers for a party.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:24 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• www.zillow.com
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• Oh, just saw you said you checked that lol.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 2:47 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• Usually local newspapers have "recent home sales" in the Sunday paper so you can see what other homes sold for. Google the address & you can also see what other homes on the block sold for in the past few years. Google addresses near that home randomly & you'll see to compare.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• zillow or .... public records?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:50 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• Are you using a realtor? I believe there's a way to find out what the home was valued at when taxes were last paid on it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:01 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• Call the hall of records. If they do not have the information there, they know where it is.

You can also call the division of property taxes (I am not sure if it is still called that)
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:13 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• sorry 211
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:14 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• Estimated value is pretty good, google other homes for sale within a 3-6 block radius, see what they are selling for, the bank will not loan you money on a home that is over priced, so say you are looking at a home that is $300,000 and all the others same size, same bathrooms, bedrooms garage space, are going for $200,000 you know you are over paying for it.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:18 PM on Aug. 26, 2013