Does or has anyone lived in a manufactured home?

We don't know if we want to own, but buying a manufactured home is a whole lot cheaper than renting a crappy apartment in our area and there are some nice mobile home communities so we are looking into it. What are the biggest cons about owning one? I'm most concerned about things that might require more expensive or frequent repair/replacement than a traditional house. Financial burden is what worries me the most.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Aug. 26, 2013 in Home & Garden

• My ex lived in one before we were married. It seemed to be well built. We moved into a small mobile home after we got married. The down side of trailers or prefabs is that you have the cost of home maintenance--furnace, winterization, etc--like a homeowner, but you often still have to rent the lot in a community or park for the home to sit on. So you're at the mercy of the landowners if the rent goes up, even though you own the home. Sometimes water and sewer are part of your lot rent, but then you have to absorb the cost if your neighbors waste water.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:36 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• We lived in one the first seven years we were married. No problems at all until tornado season.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:11 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• I have lived in Pre Fab's my whole life and I am trying vey hard to not have my kids live in the same. My sister bought a brand new triple wide pre fab and it had so much crap wrong with it because no one else had been there ahead of them to work out the kinks. their tub faucet seal broke all the time, one burner on the oven never works, and they were under warranty yet naturally the manufacturer couldn't get out there until conveniently after the warranty was up.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:49 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• My mother in law lives in one, it's really nice! Not many problems.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:49 PM on Aug. 26, 2013

• Once upon a time, I looked into getting a pre-fab. I looked at a lot of them from the basic single wide trailer to the double wide to the pre-fab house that is hard to tell it was a pre-fab. The biggest con for me is the lack of a basement. Although, in some cases you can have a basement poured under it. I also agree with Ballad. Unless you have a plot of land to put it on that you own, now you are trading renting an apartment for renting a lot.
    I've known a few people that have owned trailers and I will say that they are cheaply made. If they are not taken care of, they tend to fall apart a lot quicker.

I think it's a great idea as a stepping stone between renting and owning but personally wouldn't want it as a permanent solution.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 2:13 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• They don't hold their value, so if it's not a permanent solution don't get yourself stuck in that trap! It will end up costing you more than you think you're saving. With a little time and patience you can get a house for what a pre-fab and a couple year's lot rent would cost. The house will hold it's value, so instead of throwing money away, you'll be building equity.

desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 9:36 AM on Aug. 27, 2013

• Weather is not an issue here. We are not looking to buy just to own but rather to just pay less than renting an apartment. I did not however realize that lot rent is almost as much as apartment rent so I guess this will probably no longer be an option! Thank you all for your input.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:26 PM on Aug. 27, 2013